Droid stuck at unlock screen.

david_95

Reaction score
Hi, recently my motorola droid has been experiencing a problem. When turning my phone on, everything will load and it will take me to the unlock screen.
However, the touchscreen will not respond at all. I have no password on my phone, but the screen does not respond to my touch.
This happened to me once before, and I was able to fix it by taking the battery out. This time that isn't working.
My phone hasn't received any water damage. Also, when started in safe mode, the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on what the problem is or how I could fix it?

Thanks!

Vitticeps

Reaction score
If nothing else is working then a factory reset or a manual reinstall of the 2.1 update may be in order. If you haven't received the 2.1 update yet then applying it manually might help.

Worst case scenario, do a factory reset and you'll just have to reinstall your apps (the market saves your download list, you just have to reinstall them all) and set up your home screens again and your various settings. Contacts are stored on Google servers as long as you didn't turn off syncing so they're safe.

OP
D

david_95

Reaction score
I just installed android 2.1 today. How would I do a factory reset if I can't get past the unlock screen?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
You do the reset from the recovery menu. Turn it off, turn it back on and hold the power button and the X on the physical keyboard until it boots to the menu. Then use the D-pad to select factory reset.

OP
D

david_95

Reaction score
Is there another way I could fix it? I don't want to lose all my data..

Vitticeps

Reaction score
You could try applying the 2.1 update again manually. It wont wipe any data.

You'll have to have a way to put your sd card in your computer though so you can download the update.zip file to it. Do you have a micro sd to sd adapter and card reader on your computer? If you do, then follow these instructions

Credit to Fabolous @

Download this file:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip <--- Direct from Google's Servers!

OR

signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip

Put on the root of your sdcard (not in a folder)

Rename to update.zip

Power phone off

Boot into recovery (power phone on while holding down x)

When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, press (& hold) the volume up key and camera button key (only press the camera key down half way)

Navigate to “apply update.zip” and press the gold center button on the keyboard to select it. It will start the update process

Reboot

If your installation is 'aborted', it's probably because you named the file update.zip in Windows, which results in a file called update.zip.zip. Try renaming it to just 'update'

EDIT: You can do all this from your phone without using the USB cable.. Using Astro just move the file from your download folder on SD, to the Root of SD..

Installing this will remove root access! It will kill wifi tethering. It ONLY installs over 2.01 and all of your apps/ personal info will remain untouched.

If your phone's Firmare Version reads "2.1-update1".. You're done! Congrats! Everything is fine!

Special Thanks To...

-ugot2go123 and Speeddymon for the update.zip file

Otherwise, just take it to a Verizon store and ask if they can do anything without losing data.
I kinda suspect though that a factory reset might be their solution though.

OP
D

david_95

Reaction score
I started the phone in recovery mode like you told me but I didn't do anything.
Then, i turned the phone off and turned it back on again and the touchscreen worked.
I didn't lose any data.
Pretty odd, and I hope I don't experience this issue anymore.