Droid Razr xt912

roadrageburleson

Reaction score
My Droid Razr battery will drop suddenly from about 20% to 4% in about 2 minutes. Then I have only about 20 minutes of useful time before it completely dies. Has anyone else had this problem on this model? Has anyone used one of the extended battery cases.

It sounds as though you have rogue app or something that is not functioning properly. I would suggest downloading this application GSam Battery Monitor after you download this application take a look at the app usage. 30% or more on app usuage is pretty high. But at least start here, also not what the screen time as that is always important to know.

Thanks KaChow. I am using GSam now and am not really finding anything pulling the battery down. The app does give some great information. But I am still wondering if anyone has used and external battery case before and are they worth the money?

Have you done a factory reset? I had a issue like your and I did a battery meter training and it solved my issue.

Power the phone off (hold power and select "Power off", then accept).
Plug the phone into the STOCK MOTOROLA CHARGER AND CABLE and allow it to boot into Charge Only mode (represented by a large battery icon on the screen).
Allow the phone to charge for the greater of 3.5 hours for the Droid RAZR (5.5 hours for the MAXX), or until the display says 100% when you briefly tap one of the volume control buttons. This may take considerably less than the recommended times above depending on what the battery's actual "State of Charge" is (and not what the meter says it is).
Once fully charged, remove it from charge and power up normally.
Use it as you normally do throughout the day, and continue to run on battery only, until the phone displays the low battery warning and recommends you place it on the charger (10% with Jelly Bean and ICS, 15% with Gingerbread). Whatever you do, DO NOT allow it to discharge to the point where it powers itself off. This can result in the phone becoming completely unresponsive to the charger.
Now repeat the charging process with power off. This time, it should take the better part of the 3.5 (or 5.5), hours mentioned above before it gets to the required 100% charge level. If you don't allow it to reach 100% each time, and also to reach the discharge level where charging is recommended through this three-step process, it must be performed again or it will not have the desired effect of setting the full and empty flags for the meter.

Now that you've completed the Meter Training, when you power up the phone after the second charge cycle, make sure gsam is running and again, use the phone throughout the day as you normally would, allowing the software to capture a good sample. Once you reach the "recharge" warning again, capture screen shots of gsam, and also of the battery stats from the phone and post them here.

Last edited:
How old is the phone? I had to replace the battery in my phone after 18 months. Unfortunately, the battery will wear out.

Converted my RAZR to the Maxx. My phone is actually useful now.

Eidian how may I ask did you turn it into a Maxx. Wh
at did it cost and did you have to modify the case in any way.

I bought this exact kit from this exact seller (I got it on sale for $111 so you wouldn't be paying much more than I did):

Motorola Droid RAZR Battery Upgrade to Droid RAZR Maxx with Almost 3 Times Power | eBay

And I watched their video three times (twice the night I ordered it, then the next night when I got the kit before starting):

[video=youtube;2GXDQtl1DJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXDQtl1DJY[/video]

I then watched/paused the video as I actually did the conversion. It took me about an hour to do it the first time. I took it apart two more times sans video and reassembled it in twenty minutes. I suggest that you get the T3, T5 and prying tool because it will save you a lot of grief. I tinker with mechanical watches so fortunately I had a T5 already and it turned out that one of my watch repair screw drivers was able to unscrew the T3 screws without stripping them. My finger nails were just long enough to pry the back cover off so I didn't need the prying tool--but I still suggest using the proper tool.

If you go this route, let me know and I'll give you a few tips on some pitfalls to avoid (like when I unknowingly destroyed the speaker and had to get another one...one reason why I had to re-open the phone after the conversion).

Back