Droid Razr Maxx - Burning through data?

alessa1235

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I own a Bionic, but this post is actually in behalf of a friend, who recently bought a Razr Maxx and is having a ton of issues with data (he does not have home internet, and is about to go crazy, so I am posting this for him).

So, he bought the phone with a 2GB plan. Almost immediately the phone, specifically the browser started using excessive amounts of data. It would get so bad that it would go through 1.5 GB just with daily usage for simple stuff like looking up google news. It became almost impossible to even watch a simple youtube video. All syncs off, and all, and the phone just would go through data like crazy.

He went over to the verizon store and no one really knew what to tell him. Finally, an employee suggested it was a "virus" and that he should reset the phone to factory settings. He did so, and it began to work just fine, he could watch videos and surf going through data normally.

Now, this billing cycle, the phone began to go through data again.

Day 15th of the billing cycle the browser used 1.39 GB. Youtube app used 240 MB. He has done nothing more than just regular browsing, google news and the like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alessa

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I'm sorry to say that it just sounds like normal use... the browser will eat up a ton of data even with "moderate" use... there are things like ads in the pages that will consume data and every time you refresh the page or go to a new one... things like that and playing videos always eats up data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
A

alessa1235

Reaction score
I know data does drain in these phones. I have a bionic with a grandfathered unlimited plan though, and I ABUSE the hell out of it, pandora, video after video, after video, browsing heavily the whole day and yet, I barely hit over the 1.7 GB mark at the 15th of the month; so I don't think it is normal to drain the whole 2 GB data plan through 15 minutes here and there of google news and a two youtube videos a month.

Also, to clarify, the employees at verizon did acknoledge it was not normal, they however did not know what to tell him. The browser is just draining data as the day goes, alone, on its own, even after all syncs have been turned off.

xtor

Reaction score
I burn through 40 to 50 gigs a month on unlimited, alot of netflix and ps3 online

fireman00

Reaction score
I burn through 5 to 7 Gig per month with GPS on, Slacker to and from work, some Crackle/ Netflix/ Hulu/ YouTube, 3 email accounts, reading news, games. No change from my first Droid.