Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
When you first get the phone, charge it to 100% while off. This means before you do anything at all. Then use down to 15%, then turn it off and charge it to 100% again. DON'T EVER KILL THE BATTERY!

It's said that after this, you only need to charge while powered off every 2-3 months. My phone works better and the battery lasts longer when I charge with it off, so I charge powered off, every night.

The first few cycles will be kinda blaaah. But as you use the phone it will come into its own.

The batteries prefer not to be "deep cycled". In other words they prefer to be charged periodically throughout the day.

Use smart actions, taylor it to your usage patterns.

4g eats battery, many people leave it on 3g except for streaming and other situations where they need 4g speed

Turn your screen brightness down.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When you first get the phone, charge it to 100% while off. This means before you do anything at all. Then use down to 15%, then turn it off and charge it to 100% again. DON'T EVER KILL THE BATTERY!

It's said that after this, you only need to charge while powered off every 2-3 months. My phone works better and the battery lasts longer when I charge with it off, so I charge powered off, every night.

The first few cycles will be kinda blaaah. But as you use the phone it will come into its own.

The batteries prefer not to be "deep cycled". In other words they prefer to be charged periodically throughout the day.

Use smart actions, taylor it to your usage patterns.

4g eats battery, many people leave it on 3g except for streaming and other situations where they need 4g speed

Turn your screen brightness down.

You make me so proud!! :biggrin:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You make me so proud!! :biggrin:

I am but a carrier of the word of FoxKat. ;) passing forward what you have taught us. Usually with a tele in my hands while I do it!!

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggested searching foxkat and reading his previous post.

----posted maxx'ed out----

yaterml

Reaction score
Batteries have a cycle life. li-ion are good for about 500-1000 cycles. Several deep discharges will result in getting a lower amount of cycles. A cycle is defined as one discharge and charge (One on and one of charger). Gone are the days of old Nickel Cadmium batteries that suffered "memory". New batteries suffer a phenomenon called voltage depression. As a battery ages the li-ion dies resulting in demenished capacity or a shorter battery life. This can also result in the battery "swelling" ie the Blackberry pillow battery. The battery isn't actually what needs calibration its the phone it has to relearn the charge parameters of the battery time to time. For one reason or another the phone loses track or the battery fluxuates outside of the systems tolerance. These systems are designed to be so battery dependant that one hiccups can cause serious issues. The most important things are: do not fully discharge, do not overcharge, no not leave discharged, do not expose to excessive heat or cold. Lithium is good from between -40 to 140 degrees. Excessively deep discharges can result in the protective circuitry being triggered to prevent reversing the polarity. If putting into storage for a long period of time make sure to follow proper storage discharge procedures. A li-ion battery is good for typically 2-5 years. Maintaining them correctly can result in a longer life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

C2Cab95

Reaction score
Nice write up... Could you please explain the difference between the lithium ion battery vs. the lithium polymer battery that the RAZR and RAZR Maxx use?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

yaterml

Reaction score
This I a broad subject so I am going to summarize this the best I can. Lithium polymer batteries or lipo or li-poly are lithium ion batteries its just in a different state hence the polymer (gel like electrolyte) . Secondary or rechargeable lithium batteries come in two configurations the lithium ion-round cylindrical cells shapes used in laptops, the square cells you see used in cellphones (definitive solid cells with non polymer electrolyte) and lithium ion flat packs or polymer style used in cellphones, rc cars and mp3 players. If you take even old Nokia cellphone batteries apart you find a square foil pack in them attached to a circuit board this is to protect them from over charging ie the mid 90s exploding pockets and over discharging and reversing the polarity. Their are different chemistries with in the li-ion/polymer classes. The li-ion ones in most cellphone batteries are a safer version they are more durable, puncture resistant and heavier than lipo. More violent chemistries in li-poly produce greater capacity and high curents. The polymer style allows for tighter cell grouping also resulting in more capacity. They are soft cells that use a gel like electrolyte making them more likely to rupture or be pierced. High end electronics manufacturers prefer these batteries because they can be produced in any configuration possible. They self-discharge slower and are good for more charge cycles usually rate as >1000. The Li-poly in the Razr and RAZR MAXX are just a different style of li-ion as it's in a polymer or soft bonded state using a gel like "juice" in them. They have the same voltage as all other secondary lithium ion batteries but a greater capacity due to packing of cells, and are more volatile. Li-poly packs are used heavy in the pro rc circuit where the need as much "power" as possible as light as possible and able to deliver higher current draws. They can be produced small enough to fit a iPod shuffle and large enough to run a laptop. Lithium ion round/square cells are used in laptops, and flashlights, and and even the new electric auto mobiles. Violent explosions from li-poly packs have burnt houses and garages alike to the ground. Sorry if anything is misspelled but I wrote both of these while driving.

Basics li-ion hard heavy definitive shapes cells that are safer and have less current

Lipoly softer cells using a gel like chemical in them any size/shape greater current output more charge cycles and lighter.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Hey yaterml, don't be a stranger around here. It sounds like you and FoxKat have a lot to offer. Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Batteries have a cycle life. li-ion are good for about 500-1000 cycles. Several deep discharges will result in getting a lower amount of cycles. A cycle is defined as one discharge and charge (One on and one of charger). Gone are the days of old Nickel Cadmium batteries that suffered "memory". New batteries suffer a phenomenon called voltage depression. As a battery ages the li-ion dies resulting in demenished capacity or a shorter battery life. This can also result in the battery "swelling" ie the Blackberry pillow battery. The battery isn't actually what needs calibration its the phone it has to relearn the charge parameters of the battery time to time. For one reason or another the phone loses track or the battery fluxuates outside of the systems tolerance. These systems are designed to be so battery dependant that one hiccups can cause serious issues. The most important things are: do not fully discharge, do not overcharge, no not leave discharged, do not expose to excessive heat or cold. Lithium is good from between -40 to 140 degrees. Excessively deep discharges can result in the protective circuitry being triggered to prevent reversing the polarity. If putting into storage for a long period of time make sure to follow proper storage discharge procedures. A li-ion battery is good for typically 2-5 years. Maintaining them correctly can result in a longer life.

This was a great summation of the many postings I have made, but I would like to point out two specifics regarding LIPO batteries. They will stop operating at 32F and begin suffering damage at 113F, so the range listed above is not to be confused with the range I've listed as for the RAZR/MAXX, the LIPO is the type used in these phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This I a broad subject so I am going to summarize this the best I can. Lithium polymer batteries or lipo or li-poly are lithium ion batteries its just in a different state hence the polymer (gel like electrolyte) . Secondary or rechargeable lithium batteries come in two configurations the lithium ion-round cylindrical cells shapes used in laptops, the square cells you see used in cellphones (definitive solid cells with non polymer electrolyte) and lithium ion flat packs or polymer style used in cellphones, rc cars and mp3 players. If you take even old Nokia cellphone batteries apart you find a square foil pack in them attached to a circuit board this is to protect them from over charging ie the mid 90s exploding pockets and over discharging and reversing the polarity. Their are different chemistries with in the li-ion/polymer classes. The li-ion ones in most cellphone batteries are a safer version they are more durable, puncture resistant and heavier than lipo. More violent chemistries in li-poly produce greater capacity and high curents. The polymer style allows for tighter cell grouping also resulting in more capacity. They are soft cells that use a gel like electrolyte making them more likely to rupture or be pierced. High end electronics manufacturers prefer these batteries because they can be produced in any configuration possible. They self-discharge slower and are good for more charge cycles usually rate as >1000. The Li-poly in the Razr and RAZR MAXX are just a different style of li-ion as it's in a polymer or soft bonded state using a gel like "juice" in them. They have the same voltage as all other secondary lithium ion batteries but a greater capacity due to packing of cells, and are more volatile. Li-poly packs are used heavy in the pro rc circuit where the need as much "power" as possible as light as possible and able to deliver higher current draws. They can be produced small enough to fit a iPod shuffle and large enough to run a laptop. Lithium ion round/square cells are used in laptops, and flashlights, and and even the new electric auto mobiles. Violent explosions from li-poly packs have burnt houses and garages alike to the ground. Sorry if anything is misspelled but I wrote both of these while driving.

Basics li-ion hard heavy definitive shapes cells that are safer and have less current

Lipoly softer cells using a gel like chemical in them any size/shape greater current output more charge cycles and lighter.

Hey yaterml, don't be a stranger around here. It sounds like you and FoxKat have a lot to offer. Thanks!

Trash Can, it appears I have someone who knows his stuff! It's nice to have a second opinion that actually agrees with what I've been saying all along! He's added a lot of additional information regarding design and placement for manufacturers which of course, I knew but didn't take the time to elaborate on. Good work, yatermi.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry if anything is misspelled but I wrote both of these while driving.

:blink: What do you drive, so I know when to remain at a safe distance~?! :icon_ rofl:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
:blink: What do you drive, so I know when to remain at a safe distance~?! :icon_ rofl:

That concerned me as well. Lmao Seriously though, if you text that well while driving, something has to suffer.... have you checked your vehicle for people lodged in the grill or under it???

yaterml

Reaction score
*edited*
This was a great summation of the many postings I have made, but I would like to point out two specifics regarding LIPO batteries. They will stop operating at 32F and begin suffering damage at 113F, so the range listed above is not to be confused with the range I've listed as for the RAZR/MAXX, the LIPO is the type used in these phones.

Sorry kat I don't read many of the posts on here. I hit and choose topics helping where I can. This is information I already knew. No offense, I wasn't summerizing you specifically. Like I said I was writing this while I drove to work this morning and I might miss somethings. These are temperature thresholds for lipo batteries, and but the temperature thresholds for lipo batteries are dependant on the chemistries of the batteries thicker electrolyte has a lower extreme temperature while more saturated electrolyte has a high upper threshold, and but they trade off the other. -40 to 140 is the operation ranges for li-ion standard cells only. High temp lipo packs and low subzero packs do exsist.

Last edited:

yaterml

Reaction score
Kat you have posted several very helpful post on here that have elevated the general knowledge of the forum population for that we all thank you.