Droid Razr Battery Concern

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
From looking at the Razr and reading and viewing its features (like motocast, the wireless remote when connected to a TV, etc.) this phone is fantastic. If it had a battery that could be removed, I would have pre-ordered. However, due to the non-battery removal, I will wait a few months and see how it goes out there in the real world.

And during that time, I will keep an eye out on the Rezound and any other new phone that might hit in the next few months.

People that have iPhones still jailbreak & that doesn't offer a battery pull option. I have read where a Razr has already been rooted. There has to be some way to get the phone up & running if you are modding the software. I suppose I'm not as worried because I mostly use my phone as a mobile hotspot for my other wireless toys. And, anything from HTC already is crossed off my list. I'm on my 3rd Thunderbolt & the ability to stay connected to VZW's data network (even when not using hotspot) is total crap.

Really? Apple just admitted that there was something wrong with their software and it was draining batteries in a few hours.
A update was coming and they suggested you keep it plugged in. I personally know hard core iPhone users they all have to charge at lunch.
A spare battery solves all this cheaply and simply.

This software issue is being felt mostly by users of the 4S. It's partly due to all of the new integrated features of iOS 5. iPhone 4 & 3GS users may be experiencing it, but they have less features than the 4S. As much as I love Apple mobile devices, they are getting less awesome with every passing day. My iPad is performing worse since I upgraded, so now my Toshiba Thrive is on par as far as performance & convenience (more convenient in most cases) are concerned.

uma

Reaction score
I wish I would have taken a screen shot of my week long chat conversations with various helpers regarding the battery warranty. However, in a nutshell:
1. the battery is under normal warranty
2. purchase the extended ins for 6 bucks a month
3. warranty/insurance covers normal wear and tear of the battery.
4. "normal use" yet to be defined
5. It depends on how much you use the battery. Hours, apps, still yet to be defined.

Does anyone know what the "normal use" of a battery is?
This uncovers more questions:
1. Normal for the 4G LTE SmartPhones or Normal for my old LG pebble (that btw will go for months on a charge if not used for playing cards or viewing pics now that it's not hooked up to service).

I despise having to corner DETAILED and CONCRETE statements from these companies.

The Razr Maxx supposedly has the best reception which would be great in my area. It supposedly also has the best battery (21 hours mim) which means I wouldn't drain my phone while repeatedly resending a simple txt mssg out over the hour it takes to get one sent at times. Between those two bonuses, this is the phone for me. BUT, not and I repeat, NOT if they find excuses to not honor the warranty and replace the battery when it dies. Which leads to more questions:

1. What is the cost of sending it in and replacing the battery when not under their "guidelines towards honoring a warranty"?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wouldn't a moto phone would be easier to replace the battery than an iPhone? I highly doubt moto would use proprietary screws (ie. pentalobe) to keep people from tampering with "their" products. Give it time, I bet a third party company will have an aftermarket battery for the Razr out before the OEM batt goes bad.

Screws are standard TORX, T5 & T3 throughout if memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score
The hard reset (equivalent to a battery pull) that one can execute using the power and Volume - buttons is not software dependent. It is the same thing as a battery pull, whether you want to believe it or not. It will get you out of a bootloop or any other such thing. Not being able to pull the battery for problem ROMs/roots is a non-issue.

The battery is covered under warranty. Nothing is covered out of warranty unless you purchase extended coverage; in that case, check the extended coverage to see what's covered. In any case, problems over two years with battery life won't be too severe (look to OG Droids and such for precedent) and the RAZR battery is fairly easy to replace by yourself.

I don't really see what the contention is, here.

olc

Reaction score
uma;2007984 1. What is the cost of sending it in and replacing the battery when not under their "guidelines towards honoring a warranty"?[/QUOTE said:
I also found that getting info about the battery coverage was like pulling teeth. I did mange to get some info about the cost of replacing the battery. Motorola tech services told me that they could not give me an exact cost, but that the minimum would be $108 and I'd be without a phone for at least 10 business days. Not acceptable to me.

uma

Reaction score
I also found that getting info about the battery coverage was like pulling teeth. I did mange to get some info about the cost of replacing the battery. Motorola tech services told me that they could not give me an exact cost, but that the minimum would be $108 and I'd be without a phone for at least 10 business days. Not acceptable to me.
Unacceptable to me as well. Heck, that's half the price of an upgrade phone. We'd be upgrading 1 and 1/2 times or more. (well, in a month or two it will be half that, when the other phones hit the shelf).

I also worry about an over heating battery. Can they can melt, blow, cause irreparable damage? What will they say if one heats to the point of damage? Oh, well, sorry, but you should have turned it off via the power/volume buttons when it first showed signs of warmth. :rolleyes:

Until they release concrete warranty info, I'll remain leary of any and all non-replaceable battery types. Mainly because of their skills at skirting a valid question.