Droid Prime vs. iphone 5

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Love the idea of a full use 4.65 inches. I hope it's edge to edge. I hate the borders on phones.

Any thoughts on why it will be curved? How is that going to affect watching videos? Holding it horizontal vs. vertical?

This curved glass has me worried.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Point taken and I admit I forgot about that feature, but it's still the size of a 4.5" screen device. I know phones are all personal preference, but 4.5" screen on a phone is overdoing it and 3.7" screens are becoming slowly phased out to 4" devices.

Why is it that you wouldn't want a larger viewing area on a phone that doesn't have any larger of a footprint? Seems like anyone would appreciated not always having to zoom to view things on web pages and seeing videos on a larger screen.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why is it that you wouldn't want a larger viewing area on a phone that doesn't have any larger of a footprint? Seems like anyone would appreciated not always having to zoom to view things on web pages and seeing videos on a larger screen.

Oh no don't get me wrong, a 4.65" screen on the same body of a 4.5" screen would be great. However, I just think for a phone, anything over 4" screen isn't necessary. I mean if you're going to be spending so much time browsing the internet you might as well use a computer or a netbook. As for viewing videos, I doubt anyone here really watches a whole full length movie save for the few times on an airplane or something.

I know many of you like the bigger screened devices, but I mean it's a phone and to me anything over 4" is a bit extreme. It seems like a nice device on paper and the mock up of it, but just the size of the thing is a potential deal-breaker for me, I mean I think the Droid X is already a big phone. I mean there are many different devices for a reason right :p

To each their own...I just miss the fact that alot of devices are going to be minimum 4" instead of the original 3.7", which is the perfect size for a phone imo.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just want the best of both worlds where possible. I like netbooks and tablets and such but have no desire to tote one around with me. As I clip my phone to my belt as long as it's not ridiculously large I'm fine with it. Guess we'll see where everything falls once all these new gadgets come out though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just want the best of both worlds where possible. I like netbooks and tablets and such but have no desire to tote one around with me. As I clip my phone to my belt as long as it's not ridiculously large I'm fine with it. Guess we'll see where everything falls once all these new gadgets come out though.

Yeah I get where you're coming from, not exactly easy to carry around a laptop or tablet without some sort of bag with you, me being a student so I have a backpack on me :).

I mean in terms of just a phone the biggest phone I had was the HTC Tilt or Droid 1, toss up between the two, though the Tilt was certainly thicker. At least these devices are slim, I honestly can't knock it as I haven't had anything larger than the Tilt, but considering from some hands-on experience with a couple of friends' phones (DX, Fascinate, D3), seems a little too big and I don't wear skinny jeans either :p

I'll see when it comes out, the device does look promising and certainly from the mock up one of the best looking.

5 more days :icon_ banana:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
considering there really isn't any substantive proof of specs of the Prime nor iPhone5, its kinda premature to say which is better.
Not if one has reasons that push that person to one OS or the other. Better is always highly subjective. It's not just a matter of spec sheet racing despite what geeks seem to believe.

afaqanjum228

Reaction score
you take out of the equation all of the "problems" that come from people rooting and playing, I think it's a toss up.a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting its kinda premature to say which is better. smiley faces all over.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Looks like the Galaxy Nexus is the phone to own. If the battery only lasts 4 hours though it's an iphone4s for me.

It'll be interesting to see the first two weeks of the Nexus being out there.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Galaxy Nexus is the phone to own. If the battery only lasts 4 hours though it's an iphone4s for me.

It'll be interesting to see the first two weeks of the Nexus being out there.

Though I'm sure the standard battery will at least be decent as it's 1750, I'd say as it is removable the odds of there being an extended battery at launch or very soon after are pretty good.