Droid On/Off Button Issue

Cosworth

Reaction score
New here- tried a search for a similar topic, yet didn't find one - sorry if this is a duplicate.

Just today the On/Off/Wake Up Button on my Droid 1 didn't "spring" back after pressing to wake up. It has recessed quite a bit and has no "click" sensation or feedback. To use I must now press very deliberately and hard- something that seems it does not want to be do; like the whole button will soon break.

The phone is out of warranty (by only a couple weeks) and I have no extra insurance from Verizon. Is this issue fixable? If so does anyone have any idea how much it may cost to fix and where/how it could be done?

I am not a very tech/mechanically inclined person so doing surgery on my phone by myself is something I would like to avoid.

Also, I have just rooted the phone and if it does get sent out to be fixed, will I lose root?

Would really appreciate any help or advice anyone could share.

Thanks.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
New here- tried a search for a similar topic, yet didn't find one - sorry if this is a duplicate.

Just today the On/Off/Wake Up Button on my Droid 1 didn't "spring" back after pressing to wake up. It has recessed quite a bit and has no "click" sensation or feedback. To use I must now press very deliberately and hard- something that seems it does not want to be do; like the whole button will soon break.

The phone is out of warranty (by only a couple weeks) and I have no extra insurance from Verizon. Is this issue fixable? If so does anyone have any idea how much it may cost to fix and where/how it could be done?

I am not a very tech/mechanically inclined person so doing surgery on my phone by myself is something I would like to avoid.

Also, I have just rooted the phone and if it does get sent out to be fixed, will I lose root?

Thanks.

There are repair shops everywhere now. However, I would bet that the repair would be more expensive than the price of a good used Droid.

Check for a used Droid. However, when you find one be sure to meet the seller at a Verizon store and have the phone activated on your account before you pay. Otherwise you could easily end up with a black listed esn due to unpaid bills or insurance claim having been filed.

Good luck.

OP
C

Cosworth

Reaction score

Thanks.

There are repair shops everywhere now. However, I would bet that the repair would be more expensive than the price of a good used Droid.

Check for a used Droid. However, when you find one be sure to meet the seller at a Verizon store and have the phone activated on your account before you pay. Otherwise you could easily end up with a black listed esn due to unpaid bills or insurance claim having been filed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually found a local (Chicagoland area) phone repair shop- took it in, guy said 20 bucks to look at it. He called back in a half hour said he was done - replaced the switch- only 50 bucks! It was great as I didn't have to worry about unrooting.

For any out there with the same issue and situation as me, don't worry there are definitively shops out there that can help!