Droid now, or wait for Nexus One - Need fast decision to be made.

maseren

Reaction score
Hi All!

I was wondering if I can get input from the user community regarding the Title of this thread. Do you guys think I should wait for the Nexus one to get to verizon or go with the droid?

I looked into the Nexus one, and it is coming soon to verizon, however, the reviews are not very encouraging. The speakerphone seems weaker than droid, and the headset not nearly as crisp or clear. Granted it is running a 1ghz processor, but f rom what i heard the Droid has a GPU ie. 3d would run better, vs the Nexus one doesn't, can anyone confirm that?

Lastly, from what I have seen, people have been OCing the Droid to 1.4ghz or so... personally I think THAt is excessive, but I saw a demo of it running at 1.0 or 1.2 and it was BLAZING fast. Also, from what I heard although the screen is prettier on the Nexus One, it sounds like under sun you can hardly see it, though the Droid may not be much better. I wonder how they compare to the Storm? Anyone know?

So the big questions are: is 512 RAM over 256, but 4GB SDram vs 16GB worth the wait? Also, with all this OCing of the Droid, do I still need to wait for the Nexus One, which is less of a known quantity.

Any and ALL input would be appreciated. Trying to make a decision by tomorrow, well that and 30 days :p.

OP
M

maseren

Reaction score
hehe thanks guys, but I was hoping for a bit more :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the big questions are: is 512 RAM over 256, but 4GB SDram vs 16GB worth the wait?
Keep in mind that you're not stuck with the 4GB SD card that comes with the N1.

It's a subjective decision. You just need to weigh the pros and cons (factor in your priorities) and decide for yourself -- same as any other smartphone buying decision. No one can tell you what's best for you and suggestions are only relevant if the person making the suggestion has the same needs/wants.

As an example, if always having the latest and greatest Android updates ASAP is a priority then that's a major pro for the N1. Personally, I don't wait for unreleased devices. You never know when they'll be delayed and counting on rumors is just a way to end up disappointed IMO. YMMV, of course.

Have you checked out the countless other "Should I wait for the N1" threads? ;)

Last edited:

mrragamufin773

Reaction score
The nexus one isnt that impressive. however the droid continues to get praise. I wont go into details on the differences in the phones since u seem to know
the differences already so all i will say is go on and get the droid. its the better phone. if you still arent sure just to youtube they do a comparison with the two phones.

OP
M

maseren

Reaction score
thats why I am here, to see what more experienced people have to suggest, say... etc... thanks again.

gruve

Reaction score
Storm and Droid shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. :motdroidvert::motdroidhoriz::reddroid::greendroid:

Bostonsfavson

Reaction score
Personally, I would wait for the Nexus One to get to Verizon and try it out. Or, go to a T-Mobile store and try one out now. I love the Droid, but IMO, the hard keyboard is completely useless and the camera is awful. So for me, the Nexus One would probably be a better choice. Not sure if you're in the same boat.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I highly considered switching to the Nexus One. Motorola's terrible-ness about not including x and y in 2.1 and all this other non-sense. This all changed my mind honestly when DroidMod preceded Sholes. They are on top of their game and my phone is OC'd to 1gHZ anyways. I already bought both the Multimedia Dock and the Car Dock, and this point I am now truly happy with my Droid at this point, it would almost be a waste of money to switch to the Nexus One.

STVA

Reaction score
Personally, I would wait for the Nexus One to get to Verizon and try it out. Or, go to a T-Mobile store and try one out now. I love the Droid, but IMO, the hard keyboard is completely useless and the camera is awful. So for me, the Nexus One would probably be a better choice. Not sure if you're in the same boat.

Aren't they only purchasable online?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score

Aren't they only purchasable online?

Yes they are, hopefully you know someone who has one. Verizon will not be carrying it.

OP
M

maseren

Reaction score
Wait, the Nexus one is not available in the Store or the Droid? My boss at work got a Droid from a verizon wireless store. Nexus One isn't even out yet correct?

phreek

Reaction score
My opinion. .....go with the Droid.

Totally, my friend got a N1 after I got my Droid. Aside from the extra horsepower of the N1, I think the Droid is actually a better phone. The keyboard and directional pad does make a huge difference and I think the Droid seems to have a bit better display.