Droid not recognized when plugged into laptop

Atimus

Reaction score
Whenever I plug my Moto Droid into my laptop, it doesn't show up in the "Hard Disk Drives". Yes, I hit "Mount" on my phone and the phone does charge, it just doesn't show up on my computer. So it's a ***** to transfer songs and pictures and stuff seeing as the Droid doesn't have a Micro SD port on the outside, whenever I want to transfer stuff I have to open the back, take out the battery, etc..

So does anyone know why it's not showing up when I plug it in? Should I uninstall my drivers then reinstall them or something?

Help is much appreciated.

(I looked around a few pages before I posted this, didn't see anything.)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Double/triple check the drivers. As an absolute last resort, you can use Bluetooth File Transfer to get stuff onto your phone.

OP
Atimus

Atimus

Reaction score
they're all updated. it showed up when i first got it, then a few weeks later it stopped showing up. idk why.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
XP? Vista? 7?

Are you sure your SD card isnt corrupt?

OP
Atimus

Atimus

Reaction score
the card is fine, like i said, i have to take the card out and put it into my micro adapter to transfer stuff. so it shouldn't be the card. and i'm using 7

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I swear on my friend's Incredible I saw mounting options... I dont know. Sorry.

offroadace

Reaction score
Not sure about the Droid, but on the Inc, once connected open Menu - Notifications.
This will list as Charge Only for the selected option.
There are 3 other options to choose. Select the 3rd option, can't remember what it actually is, but it is for data transfer.

Possibly there is a similar menu function on the Droid to set.

ORA

OP
Atimus

Atimus

Reaction score
yea, it's called "Mount" on the Droid. but even when i press that it still doesn't show up on my computer. it knows there an Android device connected but it doesn't show up in any place that i can access the storage on the phone, you know?

jimnutt

Reaction score
Do you have USB debugging enabled on the Droid? That can cause Windows 7 (at least) to stop seeing the mass storage.

OP
Atimus

Atimus

Reaction score
Do you have USB debugging enabled on the Droid? That can cause Windows 7 (at least) to stop seeing the mass storage.

ah! that was it, i just turned off debugging and now it shows up again. thanks.

OP
Atimus

Atimus

Reaction score

ah! that was it, i just turned off debugging and now it shows up again. thanks.

I have the same thing, but how do I know or turn off the debugging?

in your notification bar it should say USB connected and Debugging. click on Debugging and simply turn it off.

ruloopy

Reaction score
I had this same issue, however i found by un-mounting and mounting the SD card - the problem went away. By doing this, the phone was able to prepare the card again.

CaelanAegana

Reaction score
Only works on some USB ports

I've been having the same problem with my Droid. What I've discovered is that in some USB ports, the drive connection isn't recognized but the phone will still charge and start the USB debugging if it's turned on. It won't display the "how do you want to mount this" options page even though in settings I told it to ask.

This happens mostly at work, so I wonder if the port I'm using is a USB 1.0. It also happens with my non-powered USB hub at home, which doesn't work with my EXHD either to my great annoyance. In the 2nd case, the device is continually connecting then disconnecting, probably because the power supply isn't adequate.

The good news is, on my work and home computers, XP and 7 respectively, the USB 2.0 ports on my tower work just fine.

I'm also wondering if this is a Froyo bug because the 1st case connection I described above USED to work.

So, for those you having this problem, did you try a different port?

Last edited: