Droid loses reception/drops calls.

virus786

Reaction score
Hello, got a weird problem here, my moto droids reception fluctuates from full to zero bars in an instant.

Like when I am talking to somebody It'll drop down to 1 or no bars sometimes even dropping the call, however the instant the call is ended it snaps back up to full bars.

it seems like if the phone is having to work it looses most of the reception, if not all of it.

I've already contacted verizon to see if it was the service but I have lots of towers all around me including one about 2 miles away, we also went through the programming options to make sure everything is correct, and it was.

My question is do you think my droid is having trouble keeping signal? or it is something else?

Thanks

Edit, I am Not rooted. 2.1 stock OTA

djrakun

Reaction score
Interesting. I started similar problems after I rooted and assumed it was something with my configuration. Have been trying different radio patches and kernels to figure out what went wrong. Heck, I even bout two of those little worthless foil antennae that you put behind the battery to boost the signal. I drop a lot of calls and people sometimes can't hear me for a few Minutes but I figured since nobody on the forums was reporting it t hat maybe this was just the way verizon is (was on t-mobile before this so this is my first vzw phone).
Not only do my bars fluctuate wildly, but my droid will shift between 3g and 1x often, even when im sitting in the same place downtown and actively connected to the internet.i have been actually looking for an app that would force 3g connections because ut is so annoying, but now i wonder if my radio hardware is just broken

And yes like you i have tried ¤228 several times without any improvement

djrakun

Reaction score
I'm using cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 and I installed the baseband update that was available for download with the free version of rom manager. Didn't do any good though.

cinematicmatt

Reaction score
yea, been having this problem with my droid for a while as well

i'll be sitting here on the computer, phone next to me, and i can watch it drop from 4 bars to 2, then 1x at full bars, then 3g with no bars, then 3g with full bars.......

i mean, i live in NY... i had tmo as well for a while, but left cause as soon as i left the city i wouldnt have reception.. now when i go to a basement bar here in the city, i have NO reception... kinda embarassing...

i've rooted, with BB v1.0.... tried the *228 and all that, nothing works... are there radio patches? i was helping a friend root his g1, and noticed that they had different radio patches and didn't know if there are other options like that for the droid.. tried a couple of searches and nothing really came up

???

Reaction score
add another to the bad signal group. about a month ago I went on a trip from Florida to north Carolina and had great 3g all the way. streaming videos in the middle of nowhere. starting Thursday morning at home. i saw 1x for the first time even at home and I was leaving for a road trip to atl that night. my service sucked the whole way switching from 1x to 3g, I'm not even able to call the *228 to try updating.

I hadn't changed a thing on my phone since that first trip and last night I reflashed it back to stock and it didn't help. it seems to be working much harder than normal to do anything, which killed my extended battery in about half the time as normal. something really isn't right with these phones. I was at the top of stone mountain and my buddy with at&t iphone and the other with a tmo g1 both beat me in a speed test even thou they were on edge and I had the changing 3g 1x thing going on. made me sick.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget that there's more to 3G connectivity than the phone. If it's misbehaving, call VZW and ask them to check the hardware on the tower -- often it's at fault for spotty and wonky 3G in places where there shouldnt be.

djrakun

Reaction score
add another to the bad signal group. about a month ago I went on a trip from Florida to north Carolina and had great 3g all the way. streaming videos in the middle of nowhere. starting Thursday morning at home. i saw 1x for the first time even at home and I was leaving for a road trip to atl that night. my service sucked the whole way switching from 1x to 3g, I'm not even able to call the *228 to try updating.

I hadn't changed a thing on my phone since that first trip and last night I reflashed it back to stock and it didn't help. it seems to be working much harder than normal to do anything, which killed my extended battery in about half the time as normal. something really isn't right with these phones. I was at the top of stone mountain and my buddy with at&t iphone and the other with a tmo g1 both beat me in a speed test even thou they were on edge and I had the changing 3g 1x thing going on. made me sick.

Hmm, I'm beginning to suspect that the signal problems are not an effect of the phones hardware at all. The fact that this 'suddenly' started happening to you reminds me of my friend from new york's story about his iphone. He got one of the original iphones before everybody and their brother had one ( like I did with the droid- got mine last november on release day). His internet connectivity was amazing for the first year, and after a while he started dropping calls and couldn't load a page on the browser reliably. He bought a new iphone thinking he dropped it and messed up the radio and there was no difference. Ultimately he got at&t to admit that their towers couldn't support the number of customers they had in manhattan. They sold too many iphones. With buy one get one free droid sales going on all the time, our 3g spottyness might just be because we are sharing it with so many other subscribers...

This reminds me of the first ghostbusters movie.

Reaction score
Its like filling a balloon with to much air, eventually it'll pop...cookies if you get the reference.

glennj

Reaction score
Lets not forget that there's more to 3G connectivity than the phone. If it's misbehaving, call VZW and ask them to check the hardware on the tower -- often it's at fault for spotty and wonky 3G in places where there shouldnt be.

Hmm, I'm beginning to suspect that the signal problems are not an effect of the phones hardware at all. The fact that this 'suddenly' started happening to you reminds me of my friend from new york's story about his iphone. He got one of the original iphones before everybody and their brother had one ( like I did with the droid- got mine last november on release day). His internet connectivity was amazing for the first year, and after a while he started dropping calls and couldn't load a page on the browser reliably. He bought a new iphone thinking he dropped it and messed up the radio and there was no difference. Ultimately he got at&t to admit that their towers couldn't support the number of customers they had in manhattan. They sold too many iphones. With buy one get one free droid sales going on all the time, our 3g spottyness might just be because we are sharing it with so many other subscribers...

This reminds me of the first ghostbusters movie.

After 4 months of flawless 3G reception, my Droid succumbed to the wacky and spotty 3G coverage out of nowhere just 2 weeks ago. I've literally done everything I know to do (but to no avail) short of getting a replacement phone (which I may wind up doing)......and I'm not sure that's going to remedy the situation.

I can't even find a common thread to the issue as it seems kind of random. It doesn't appear that everyone has the issue....or we'd see more of an outcry.

Is it possible, if what the above posters are hinting at, that we are beginning to approach a threshold for the sheer number of 3G consumers the network can reliably service? If so, with the advent of Android's popularity, the situation may not improve and, presumably, anyone's 3G could bonk out at any time (if the problem isn't phone-specific).

disgustipated

Reaction score
I just got my droid x today and I can't believe I'm saying I would rather have my Storm 1 back.

I live 15 miles from NYC and I cannot even send one text message from this POS. My father's 5 year old razor runs laps around this phone in terms of reception. This is just embarrassing. I called customer service and they had no idea what to do to fix it. (well after 5 million walkthroughs that provided no answers)

I'm about to dump verizon after this I just cannot believe a brand new phone would have worse reception in a place where a storm 1 or even ancient razor is working fine. Granted if I drive 5 miles up the road it works like the charm, but this still shouldn't be the case.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I just got my droid x today and I can't believe I'm saying I would rather have my Storm 1 back.

I live 15 miles from NYC and I cannot even send one text message from this POS. My father's 5 year old razor runs laps around this phone in terms of reception. This is just embarrassing. I called customer service and they had no idea what to do to fix it. (well after 5 million walkthroughs that provided no answers)

I'm about to dump verizon after this I just cannot believe a brand new phone would have worse reception in a place where a storm 1 or even ancient razor is working fine. Granted if I drive 5 miles up the road it works like the charm, but this still shouldn't be the case.

Ron W.

disgustipated

Reaction score

Ron W.

Did that and all other update options they suggested. My phone sits at a cool -110 dBm. This sucks. It has to be the phone, my friend standing right next to me over the weekend with the incredible had awesome service and I couldn't even send a text.

soccer126

Reaction score
I am having the same problem on my Droid running 2.1.
Dropped calls. Calls are cutting out. I can watch the service bars go from 1 to 4, without me moving the phone.
I've tried *228 many times. No change.

I have noticed the same problem on my Blackberry Tour too (work phone).

I'm thinking the problem is the Verizon network.
It's been happening since May.