Droid Incredible vs other Droid phones..

sum spicy rice

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here (obviously). Sorry for the long post..

My plan on Verizon was up for renewal back in March.. I had been looking at purchasing my first smartphone (the blackberry bold coming out for verizon).. then i heard about the HTC Droid Incredible.. read the specs.. looks like it would blow the BB out of the water.

Today I went to the store.. played with the Motorola Droid.. then played with some of the blackberries. I am def going to get an Android powered phone as my next phone. I REALLY like the motorola droid.. but i dont think i'd use the keyboard that much.

My question is.. do you all think the HTC Incredible will be as popular as the Motorola Droid? No one really talks about other Android powered phones out right now.. Eris.. Devour.. Backflip.. those are all kindda "ehhh" from what I've been reading. Good phones.. but not popular. I want a popular phone because later on the more popular it is.. the more tech support/communities online will be available just like the Motorola Droid. So does the HTC incredible have the potential to be the next popular android phone (like the Motorola Droid)?

I'm going to wait until the HTC Incredible comes out.. play with both.. but if it's not as great as people claim it will be. then ill just get the motorola droid because i know that phone is reallllly amazing.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Incredible might be able to get as much attention, but IMO since so many people already have the Droid, and the Droid has a pretty big and effective community (root/development too), I don't think it will be as popular. It shouldn't deter you away from buying one though, unless one of your requirements is root access (some HTC phones have been hard to root, Eris took 4 months.)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Comparing the Droid to the Eris (or the Devour or some other phones) versus the comparison of the Droid to the Incredible can be misleading simply because the Droid and Incredible will be running the same version of the operating system (2.1) while the other phones you mentioned have down-rev versions.

Furthermore, the Droid and Incredible are similar in terms of screen size and form factor. In short, just about everything that runs on the Droid will also run on the Incredible and vice versa. So that means the relative "popularity" of the two phones is less important than the features they share, just as the similarity between the Droid and Nexus means the phones share almost all the same software.

If you're committed to running a custom operating system or other features that require rooting of the device, you're probably better off with the Droid. Though you should keep in mind that rooting of the 2.1 version of the Droid is not yet guaranteed, much less a widespread and simple operation. Further if you're committed to having a physical keyboard, the Droid is the only way to go. On the other hand, the specs of the Incredible in terms of processing power, camera, and the features of the Incredible's Sense UI are undeniably superior.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I might be a bit biased since I've had my Moto Droid for about 7 months, but I'd hate to be getting into a phone that's brandy new. My Moto Droid has been out for quite a while now, and lots of bugs and short-falls have been dealt with - and fixed. A brand new phone platform is going to have a bunch of problems, especially at the 'grand offering'. Personally, I don't like to get the first, newest, no one has ever seen versions of anything. I'd either wait a few months before buying to see what happens, OR, get a Moto Droid now, because it's pretty tried and true at this point.

Just my opinion, of course. :icon_eek:

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I had the HTC Eris for a little over a month beofre getting the Moto Droid. I really liked the responsiveness of the Eris and Sense UI did not bother me. I went with Moto Droid becuase at the time it seemed like you could do so much more, ie. rooting and custom roms. Coming from a BB Storm before any Android phone, i was attacted to getting to know the ins and outs of the phone.

The Droid Incredible is going to be a really good phone. It will be the Eris on steriods. As a Moto Droid owner, I am intrigued by the phone, but I won't switch cause in a few months the price will drop or a newer phone will be out.

I guess it depends on your phone now. If you are used to all touch screen, I would say get the Incredible and if you are used to touch screen and a keyboard get the Moto Droid.

r1nstang

Reaction score
youll get used to the keyboard. It takes awhile..but im finally used to it. and the Incredible doesnt have a physical keyboard at all does it?

MrTommy

Reaction score
the Incredible doesnt have a physical keyboard at all does it?

I don't think it does.

When I came to the Droid from my LG enV2, I was all set to be a big time slide-out keyboard user. That went away quickly!!! Now I only use the slide-out to fix mistakes in my typing where I can use the 'box' to move the cursor over without completely retyping stuff. Other then that, it's virtual all the way.

I think Bxrider117 is right. The phone sounds like it embodies the best of both worlds - the Eris and the Droid wrapped in to one nifty package.

Also, like Bxrider117, I'm not going to 'chase' the technology and get yet another new phone - just because it's there. I'll live with my Droid until my next contract. By then the "Incredible" will be so last year nobody will even be talking about it - :cus: