Droid increases OpenSource use

leetbumble

Reaction score
Obviously it will directly but do you think more people will see the power and customization and move more to the Open Source community for other needs?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Obviously it will directly but do you think more people will see the power and customization and move more to the Open Source community for other needs?

The problem is that there are alot of people that have no idea what opensource means. You could explain it to them 1000 times and they still just can't grasp it. If you ask them do they like customization, the answer is undoubtedly yes. You can tell from our forums that some of the reasons that the people that are coming to the droid from iphone is that apple locks it down more then verizon locks their network down.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is what is going to drive Android devices to the top...the Droid is just the start. Developers are going to have a field day and really have been already.

I'm not a VZW fanboy or anything but they will catapult the platform into the mainstream as we are already seing and it hasn't even been released yet.

I'm excited to be a part of this platform.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
I was just talking (ok, typing) about this on another thread. The fact that the Android Marketplace already has 10,000 apps in it and for quite a while the only real Android phone on the market was the G1 on T-Mobile really says something. The increase in users with Sprint and now Verizon getting Android based phones, not to mention the HUGE amount of hype around the Droid, should drive the demand for apps considerably. Developers that may have overlooked Android in the past will surely take notice and start working with it. I can easily see why some are predicting that 2012 will be the year of the Droid, with Android phones coming in only second to Symbian worldwide.

I did have a friend point out to me that 2012 is also supposed to be the end of the world (according to the Mayans), so we have made a prediction that it will probably be disgruntled BlackBerry or iPhone users that will cause the end to come. :biggrin: I think that BlackBerry users that will be unwilling to adopt the Android OS will be SO angry that they are still waiting on a properly working browser that all of Canada will rise up and start World War Four. My friend thinks that after the iPhone is surpassed and humiliated by all the Android phones that Steve Jobs will buy some sort of virus on the black market and release the iZombie plague on mankind. He also thinks that iDaho will be the only safe place (after Jobs purchases it) and only those with working and current iPhones or Macs will be allowed in. Of course, this is just our theory. ;)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just talking (ok, typing) about this on another thread. The fact that the Android Marketplace already has 10,000 apps in it and for quite a while the only real Android phone on the market was the G1 on T-Mobile really says something. The increase in users with Sprint and now Verizon getting Android based phones, not to mention the HUGE amount of hype around the Droid, should drive the demand for apps considerably. Developers that may have overlooked Android in the past will surely take notice and start working with it. I can easily see why some are predicting that 2012 will be the year of the Droid, with Android phones coming in only second to Symbian worldwide.

I did have a friend point out to me that 2012 is also supposed to be the end of the world (according to the Mayans), so we have made a prediction that it will probably be disgruntled BlackBerry or iPhone users that will cause the end to come. :biggrin: I think that BlackBerry users that will be unwilling to adopt the Android OS will be SO angry that they are still waiting on a properly working browser that all of Canada will rise up and start World War Four. My friend thinks that after the iPhone is surpassed and humiliated by all the Android phones that Steve Jobs will buy some sort of virus on the black market and release the iZombie plague on mankind. He also thinks that iDaho will be the only safe place (after Jobs purchases it) and only those with working and current iPhones or Macs will be allowed in. Of course, this is just our theory. ;)

Unfortunately the mayans didn't predict the end of the world, that is a western myth. The certain calendar ends. Most predict that have studied the mayans for years state it most likely is just the celestial point in which the milky way comes to a certain point in the corresponding relation of other galaxies.

ANYWAYS! Back on track, I do agree that even by 2011 that the % of the world that in using android will be quire substantial. I think apple will get knocked off it's high horse, but I don't think it will be down and out, they will still hold a good %.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score

Unfortunately the mayans didn't predict the end of the world, that is a western myth. The certain calendar ends. Most predict that have studied the mayans for years state it most likely is just the celestial point in which the milky way comes to a certain point in the corresponding relation of other galaxies.

ANYWAYS! Back on track, I do agree that even by 2011 that the % of the world that in using android will be quire substantial. I think apple will get knocked off it's high horse, but I don't think it will be down and out, they will still hold a good %.

I think it will be companies like RIM that get knocked down more than Apple.

Also, shame on you for ruining all my fun with silly things like logic and facts.:p

OP
leetbumble

leetbumble

Reaction score
Im (considered by some) to be a hardcore open source junkie. My primary OS is Ubuntu and I spend hours if not days trying to get applications to install on Linux even though I have a dual-boot computer with Windows 7 and could easily switch over.

I know I am the extreme of the typical user but with Linux becoming more COTS ready... do you think people will relate their droid (hopefully good) experience and try Linux?

p.s. If the world is about to end I want to be the first to say... "theres an app for that"... but New2u crushed my dream of that.:p

OP
leetbumble

leetbumble

Reaction score
If (using linux = true)
{
Gnome > KDE;
}
Else
{
Switch to Linux;
}

:D

kprojects

Reaction score
Man.. I used to switch between redhat and slackware each time a new release would come out.. good times :)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
That's the free version with ads but it's from the same developer.

Sent from my Transformer

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Sorry my Tapatalk is putting posts in the wrong forums.

Sent from my Transformer