Droid in Mexico

Shifty123

Reaction score
Headed to MX for work next week and had read a few posts regarding the droid in MX. I called Verizon to activate either the global data plan or the Mexico plus plan for data and am being told that the original Croid was not set up to be used as an international phone and these plans are unavailable. I'm stuck with the $0.99/minute voice rate, $0.50/text sent, $0.05/text received and $5.12/MB on data.

Does this make sense? I thought the global plans for specifically for travelers andd the droid is only 14 months old or so.

Any other info/options?

Thanks

D

dankarlinski

that is corrrect. the Droid is not a global phone, so you are not able to use GSM sim cards, thus, no global access.

i am not sure about the rates they gave you, but if verizon has a roaming partner down there (which it sounds like they do, given the fact they give you rates), you would just be roaming all the time, hence the higher rates

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the problem is the Droid is CDMA only and CDMA coverage in mexico is almost non existant.

In all honesty your better off taking a cheap GSM phone with you and purchasing a international sim card for it or contacting Verizon Wireless Global services and renting a global phone from them while your down there.

ive rented a global phone from them on several occasions when i would be in mexico for extended periods of time and the service wasnt bad at all.

oh and the best thing about the global phone is it still uses your regular phone number so friends/family/co-workers dont need to call you on a different number.

Last edited:

Gritwater

Reaction score
Does droid have a bullet proof vest app?

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would suggest doing the above suggestion of getting a gsm phone... that seem logical to me. You can always just buy a prepaid phone as well, cheap but well... cheap! :) How long you gonna be in mexico? you could always upgrade your droid to a Droid Pro... which i believe is a global device, and its a very good phone.

D

dankarlinski

I would suggest doing the above suggestion of getting a gsm phone... that seem logical to me. You can always just buy a prepaid phone as well, cheap but well... cheap! :) How long you gonna be in mexico? you could always upgrade your droid to a Droid Pro... which i believe is a global device, and its a very good phone.

x2

D2G and Droid Pro are both global devices.

be careful of the droid pro tho. i hear (and it is confirmed) that the barttery life is dreadful