Droid II Hardware or Andoid Software

hfd1113

Reaction score
While reading the online manual for Droid, I notice the absence of voice dialing and the Droid itself does not have a voice command button. All of these features are on earlier Motorola handsets such as my Razr V3c. I have read threads that say the Droid doesn't handle blue tooth well. My Razr V3c allows my Blackberry blue tooth headset to answer incoming calls and thus negating the incoming ringing. Dose anybody think these features will be included on the next version of the Droid? I am waiting for the OS 2.1 before upgrading.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While reading the online manual for Droid, I notice the absence of voice dialing and the Droid itself does not have a voice command button. All of these features are on earlier Motorola handsets such as my Razr V3c. I have read threads that say the Droid doesn't handle blue tooth well. My Razr V3c allows my Blackberry blue tooth headset to answer incoming calls and thus negating the incoming ringing. Dose anybody think these features will be included on the next version of the Droid? I am waiting for the OS 2.1 before upgrading.

Droid does. It has voice dialing. It doesn't work worth a damn.:)

However if you use your search button and say "call wife" it will do just that. Works better then voice dialing.

As far as Bluetooth goes, there is an app that allows you to do that. There are also some headsets out there like the one I have, the Blue Ant Q1 that will do direct voice dialing - but only for 8 contacts.

I doubt this will be fixed with 2.1, it wasn't listed on the options to be included for 2.1. And this just isn't Droid. All android platforms do not do the voice search without an app.

zakany

Reaction score
However if you use your search button and say "call wife" it will do just that. Works better then voice dialing.

That's been my experience, too. Just long pressing the search button and telling my phone what to do (call doctor hans, map of washington dc, navigate to 123 applewood lane) works surprisingly well.

I've always considered voice input on a computer to be silly. But on a phone, it's great! It's a very efficient input method.

gatorbait

Reaction score
I honestly don't know why the "Voice Dialer" app even exists since the google search by voice function works so well and isn't tied only to dialing your phone.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have a plantronics blue tooth and I do not have any troubles with it. I have to say I have not initiated any calls with it only because I do not like talking on the phone when I am driving (that is the only time I used my blue tooth). But I have answered calls and have been very pleased.

vegainey

Reaction score
Check out "Voice Dialer HF" in the Market. It is $4.

While it still relies on the built in voice recognition of the device, it does a great job of 100% hands free and routing voice commands and confirmation over bluetooth.

The only catch is that it still uses the phone's mic for all voice commands. But, that is actually a good thing, since the Droid has excellent noise cancelling, that allows it to work good in noisy conditions, such as while driving.

I've been using it for a couple weeks now, and it has been 100% perfect on every command I have given it so far.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check out "Voice Dialer HF" in the Market. It is $4.

While it still relies on the built in voice recognition of the device, it does a great job of 100% hands free and routing voice commands and confirmation over bluetooth.

The only catch is that it still uses the phone's mic for all voice commands. But, that is actually a good thing, since the Droid has excellent noise cancelling, that allows it to work good in noisy conditions, such as while driving.

I've been using it for a couple weeks now, and it has been 100% perfect on every command I have given it so far.

I have both Voice Dialer HF and "Choice Dialer." The latter sacrifices completely hands free operation (puts up a picklist for multiple choices) but can also be used to select music to play.

OP
H

hfd1113

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. That is why forums like this works so well to inform. I will get my Droid.:)