Droid has slayed the iBeast!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I hate to bring negativity to the post but I feel the need to dilute the fanboyish like comments. If we want to talk about how good it is lets talk about some specifics. Then we can all learn of features that set this phone apart from the bunch.

I think the phone is awesome, my only problem with it thus far is that the home screen could be a bit smoother in it's motions. Similar criticism to that of the Engadget review

Motorola DROID review
My device runs perfectly. I don't have any issues with the home screen at all. It's VERY fast and smooth. Email comes "instantaneously" (within 10 seconds), Camera hardware is perfect, Apps VERY responsive, call quality perfect, keyboard works as a keyboard should.

I'm no fanboy but my device is flawless : )

Believe me if I had issues I'd be the first to speak up. VZW/Motorola really did hit it out of the park on this one.

NvrEnough

Reaction score
I hate to bring negativity to the post but I feel the need to dilute the fanboyish like comments. If we want to talk about how good it is lets talk about some specifics. Then we can all learn of features that set this phone apart from the bunch.

I think the phone is awesome, my only problem with it thus far is that the home screen could be a bit smoother in it's motions. Similar criticism to that of the Engadget review

Motorola DROID review
My device runs perfectly. I don't have any issues with the home screen at all. It's VERY fast and smooth. Email comes "instantaneously" (within 10 seconds), Camera hardware is perfect, Apps VERY responsive, call quality perfect, keyboard works as a keyboard should.

I'm no fanboy but my device is flawless : )

Believe me if I had issues I'd be the first to speak up. VZW/Motorola really did hit it out of the park on this one.

this > :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought the droid this morning out here and i really like it too, However i feel like you guys might be jumping the gun a bit. The droid THUS far has been really good but to say it slays the ibeast is quite the claim for a phone thats been out for less than a day.

Motorola DROID review

Most of us here are no fanboys but we do like the product and it works for us. My device other then the autofocus on the camera works 100%. I have 0 problems with my home screen other then the grid size.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I agree, the iphone is going to be loosing users.... I'm one of them... the Droid kicks arse.

I was an avid iphone fan too... but the droid is the latest and greatest smart phone on the market imo.

I'm really shocked on how good it is... and I think apple will be as well.

fegarem

Reaction score
I was playing with my Droid all night long. It was 2:30 AM before I put the thing down and went to bed. Granted, my previous experience has been with an eNV (stone age to modern age), but I am SUPER happy with this device!

andjarnic

Reaction score
I am mostly in agreement. The phone UI/user experience is indeed quite a bit more difficult for any normal non-smart phone user to learn... where as the iPhone is just easy from the start. But this phone has a lot going for it.

I just wish my phone wasn't apparently the only phone with a sleep wake-up issue. I need more people to report it so we can get a fix going for it. I am a little tired of taking my battery out and back in to get my phone to turn on. :(

ScottDroid

Reaction score
Droid vs. Iphone

Been a user of Iphone since day 1 of first gen. I now own a droid...

Other than some outlook exchange issues Droid >> Iphone

Give appstore a few months and it will be ridiculous the difference between the two platforms.

andjarnic

Reaction score
I have to say.. I am blown away at how many stupid comments comparing android store to apple store. Uhm.. Apple == 45mil units, 1.5 year head start, etc. I will give props to Apple. They are geniuses in so many ways. Their phone is still the best "noob" user interface out there.. period. I love my droid, but it is definitely more difficult to figure out and use over the iPhone. That said, all the reviews, comments, etc talking about 100,000 apps to 10,000 apps. Uhm.. Come on. Give Android 1.5 years from now first of all to compare apples to apples. Second of all, I think you are going to find more quality apps on android sooner than you did on iPhone mostly because a LOT of developers (and would be buyers) have "learned" the lesson of the tons of crap apps on the app store. With that in mind, knowing full well that the android market is MUCH smaller at only a couple mil handsets right now, unless your a developer just learning to develop for it and putting an app out for free or hoping to make some money, you probably are aware of the plithora of apps on the app store and know that your market is much smaller so you're going to try to put out a quality app to reach more people. That's not guaranteed of course.. cause no doubt a common reply to this comment would be "Apple is very strict about what passes and gets put up.. Google is not.. anything can be put up (within reason of course)". Yes, this is somewhat true, and while I agree that the apple lock-down in some ways can help their store with a certain level of quality, it is also not a guarantee. I've seen tons of apps on the iPhone that are pure garbage, buggy, crash, etc. It's just as vulnerable in my opinion.

But, in my opinion as well, Android will have at least 2, if not 3 more updates in the next year adding a large array of features, bug fixes, etc. As well, unlike Apple, Android will be running on 18 different phones within the next few months, on every carrier. It will also be put in several tablets coming out that I think are going to crush the Kindle market. It's already in home telephones, and will soon be in set top boxes as well (DVR units, etc). More so, with google working on their own operating system, it's no doubt going to include Android in it, so that everyone that uses it can make use of all the android apps out there, develop for it, etc. I'd be beyond shocked if Android doesn't surpass iPhone and their app store within 2, 3 years tops.

Zippster

Reaction score
I want Apple to keep developing and improving Iphone / apps etc, the more the better. Competition is the customers best friend. :icon_ peace:

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Fantastic post! I couldn't have said it any better. You just spoke what a lot of people really need to hear.

profuse101

Reaction score
I just bought the droid this morning out here and i really like it too, However i feel like you guys might be jumping the gun a bit. The droid THUS far has been really good but to say it slays the ibeast is quite the claim for a phone thats been out for less than a day.

Motorola DROID review

The ranting and raving is to be expected at this site. This is the phone that many of us have waited quite a bit of time for. In my case, there is no way to compare the experience I've had with this phone to what I've put up with over the last couple of months. If I get excited and act like a fanboy so be it. Once the Droids warts start to show, and I've lost some of the first day love, I'll join you in adding some common sense to my posting but for now, it's Droid FTW!!

Well put souljerr I couln't agree more. I have a voyager for the past two years and I have gone through numerous refurbs so this phone has been my saving grace.

I just wanted this site to be a resource for Droid fans and prospective Droid owners alike, So to come to a forum and see a bunch of fanboydom taking place it it degrades the legitimacy of peoples reviews. None the less I agree it is fun/exciting/cool to finally have the droid in my hands. I wont be a debbie downer, my bad.

profuse101

Reaction score
I am mostly in agreement. The phone UI/user experience is indeed quite a bit more difficult for any normal non-smart phone user to learn... where as the iPhone is just easy from the start. But this phone has a lot going for it.

I just wish my phone wasn't apparently the only phone with a sleep wake-up issue. I need more people to report it so we can get a fix going for it. I am a little tired of taking my battery out and back in to get my phone to turn on. :(

I've been having the same problem, it is quite annoying. did you just report it to a verizon rep over the phone?

Its things like this that cause me to reconsider this phone as an iphone killer/ best phone on the market etc

Spanky

Reaction score
The Droid is easily the best smartphone I've used/owned. I truly believe it'll eat into iphone's and blackberry's market share.

phoenixdroid

Reaction score
...Their phone is still the best "noob" user interface out there.. period. I love my droid, but it is definitely more difficult to figure out and use over the iPhone...

I am a complete smartphone novice. I upgraded from the EnV2. All I had used it for was calls, text and once looking up a movie and finding a Target store. So guess that makes me a dummy with a smartphone lol!:icon_ banana:

I will admit that for about the first 10 minutes I was entirely clueless. I had to read the book to figure out how to turn it on and make it do anything. (I then also downloaded the manual. No idea why they didnt ship the manual with the phone. Even my lowly EnV2 came with a nice slick book manual.)

So then I found the appstore. And I downloaded a couple apps. And was utterly clueless how to make them do anything lol! The big a-ha moment for me was figuring out the menu button and the whole touch vs flickr vs touch & hold. From there on out, it got a lot easier once I got the "logic" and the whole touch thing down.

Tho if you think about it, it basically is sort of like installing a new OS on your computer. Droid is basically a mini computer "of sorts" that can also make phone calls more than it is "just a phone". And I will tell you I figured out Droid much much much quicker than I figured out my HP printer and Vista. Now those are both evil.:icon_evil:

I won't say I am an expert yet by any means and hope to learn a lot from folks here. But I think the best thing Moto could do is include the user manual actually in the box for us noobs rather than making us hunt it down online.

I won't knock Droid for not being "stupid noob functional out of the box" at all. But hope other noob users can find the manual and forums like this and do their homework to be able to take full advantage of all things Droid.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score

what exactly is your issue in sleep/wake?