Droid + Google Voice Voicemail

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this has been answered before/trouble finding an answer for this.

Is there a way to set the default voicemail button, or long press on 1 in phone mode to call google voicemail instead of VZW voicemail.

I have it set up so that Google voice is my mail service on the phone. It works when someone calls my number (vzw or voice number) - they go directly to GV mail - is it supposed to change those buttons too or not?

JCo352

Reaction score
i was wondering this too but i just got Google Voice app, a solution in my mind

Fraxinus

Reaction score
From the home screen: Menu --> Settings --> Call Settings --> Voicemail service - set to Google Voice instead of Carrier. You should then be prompted to configure some settings and be up and running with GV tied to your voicemail key in the dialer app.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
From the home screen: Menu --> Settings --> Call Settings --> Voicemail service - set to Google Voice instead of Carrier. You should then be prompted to configure some settings and be up and running with GV tied to your voicemail key in the dialer app.

Thanks, I actually did all that (I thought). I just did it again and it did the trick.

Is not that big of a deal as when a vm comes in from it, as I can get it quickly from the GV app notification. But one less direct dial icon - Less clutter is good!

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Now, how about the "Ask when dialing" option. On the settings screen that allows you to choose when to use your google number for outgoing calls, I've got it set to ask me when dialing.

I've dialed and had it ask. Now it does not seem to work any more?

Fraxinus

Reaction score
hoo boy...I'm not sure about that one...I was just checking on my phone (though I didn't actually make any calls). When you set GV to prompt for every call it pulls up the option to use GV or your standard number. I did not see a checkbox for "use this action by default" which would make me think you really would have to choose every time. The only thing I can think is that it's remembering a number you dialed with GV in the past and applying that selection automatically...Otherwise I guess you're seeing a bug maybe?

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I think I may have figured it out.

It seems as if I dial a number in 7 digit format, it dials using my VZW number.

If the contact, or the number I dial is in 10 digit, then it gives the prompt to select VZW or GV number.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
ahh, I guess that makes sense. Even though your GV number has a specific area code it's sort of area code agnostic, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be smart enough to know what area code you want to place the call to.

Jamey Pennington

Reaction score
Now, how about the "Ask when dialing" option. On the settings screen that allows you to choose when to use your google number for outgoing calls, I've got it set to ask me when dialing.

I've dialed and had it ask. Now it does not seem to work any more?

OK. I'm struggling to find the "Ask when dialing" option.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Its in the Google Voice app. Go into settings. its under General: Making Calls.