Droid Exchange support vs TouchDown?

valnar

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the differences are between the built-in Exchange app on Android 2.0 vs NitroDesk's TouchDown product? What's the delta of their capabilities?

smolander

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the differences are between the built-in Exchange app on Android 2.0 vs NitroDesk's TouchDown product? What's the delta of their capabilities?

I think both are very good mail clients. Even through Android can simultaneously support multiple exchange accounts, I downloaded Touchdown for my work email, contacts and calendar. I use the native apps for my personal exchange account.

My auditor likes the separation ....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I couldn't get my company email using the installed app.. Our IT Nazis have the activesync off..But we are allowed web access, Touchdown is able to pull everything for me!

mynamesjose

Reaction score
Hmm. I tried to sync with my school Exchange email but it won't. Would TochDown solve this problem?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hmm. I tried to sync with my school Exchange email but it won't. Would TochDown solve this problem?

Give it a try...5 day free trial. took all of 5 mins to set it up.

becks66

Reaction score
I have not been able to connect to my company's Exchange Server using either one. Droid doesn't... do all Exchange Servers. If your school has any sort of security set up chances are good that the Droid won't work for Exchange emails at all. I have spent over 5 hours on the phone with both Verizon's tech support and then Motorola and no one could help. I think I am going back to the tried and true BlackBerry. It's a shame too because the phone does have a lot of nice features.

treo700w

Reaction score
my company's IT group doesn't support the droid because it doesn't meet their "stringent security requirements" such as:

· Must provide the ability to remote erase the phones hard drive in the event that it is lost or stolen.
· Must allow data on the cell phone to be encrypted to protect from hackers and theft.
· Must enforce a pass-code or PIN policy to ensure authorized access to the device.

the standard droid app didn't work with my work's exchange system. tried the 5 day free trial of touchdown and it worked perfectly! paid my $9.99 for the full license and it's worth every penny!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have not been able to connect to my company's Exchange Server using either one. Droid doesn't... do all Exchange Servers. If your school has any sort of security set up chances are good that the Droid won't work for Exchange emails at all. I have spent over 5 hours on the phone with both Verizon's tech support and then Motorola and no one could help. I think I am going back to the tried and true BlackBerry. It's a shame too because the phone does have a lot of nice features.

Have you talked to your schools IT department?

edavis

Reaction score
The built in app does not sync tasks, or allow for a signature. Touchdown does. Took all of 5 minutes to install. I had a couple of questions and was able to get them answered on a Saturday. Great product, great support.

I did find one bug with tasks and categories that they are fixing in the next release.:)

moparharn

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my Droid ceasing to

retrieve my emails unless I do a battery pull. Verizon said early on that this was because my email providers do not recognize the droid yet and will not allow a constant pull message for very long. Pulling the battery will result in a "new" pull message and resume the email delivery. I don't know if this is BS or not, but I would gladly pay for an app or service that would reliably give me my email from 6 accounts (soon to be 3). Is touchdown the answer to my problems. None of my email comes from an exchange server I think (aol,yahoo,comcast,gmail, and pop3 squirrel for work). Thanks for any ideas.

Rosie

Reaction score
Getting Email

Everyone one says touchdown is quick and easy to set up. We have embarq as our email. I have tried both the email that came on droid and touchdown with no luck. I have the domain and server info from embarq. Any ideas? Thanks

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what embarq is, but if it doesn't run on a Microsoft Exchange server (I believe Exchange 2007 SP1 is preferred) then neither Touchdown nor the built-in maill app will work, as they use ActiveSync, a proprietary Microsoft technology.

You could try getting the IMAP or POP3 settings and configuring the built-in mail app to use those.

moparharn

Reaction score
dugdathug, can you please help me with something?

I am having a miserable time trying to get Google to retrieve my mail and send it. Usinf the native app is not much better as it will switch off for no reason. I want to use touchdown, but I don't thin our company uses an "exchange" server, but I don't know. Our email is hosted by a company called "site five". I get my email on my laptop through outlook. I can get it off the web at www.companyname.com/webmail- then enter user id and password, then use squirrel mail to retrieve my stuff. Is this something that will work on Touchdown? Would touchdown grab my aol,yahoo, comcast, and google mail as well? Thank you for any help you can give me as I am thinking of returning the droid today and picking up an Iphone with mobile me. Thanks!
ps- your blog is very nice.