Droid does not seem to synch with email very well.

zinny0753

Reaction score
Hi:

I have rackspace and go daddy email accounts and the droid does not seem to synch with these very well. I get worried that I am missing emails as when I get on my computer, there are emails in the account. Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks

M

Matth3w

Yep, Android sucks with POP email. Even with K9 mine doesn't always pull the mail when it's supposed to. It seems to be more reliable when the interval is set at a longer time like one hour. When I set it to 5 minutes I run into all kinds of problems.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You could set up your emails to push all messages to your gmail account with labels, then set up gmail to respond with any of those addresses... thats what i do.

M

Matth3w

You could set up your emails to push all messages to your gmail account with labels, then set up gmail to respond with any of those addresses... thats what i do.
Not all email accounts work that way. Some accounts will detect what you are doing and stop sending the mail, mine did.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not all email accounts work that way. Some accounts will detect what you are doing and stop sending the mail, mine did.

Interesting. The way you put it, it sounds as if forwarding the email to the google server violates some sort of security policy on the email server. Were you trying to find a way around the functionality of the email server or did it just fail to forward email as it was supposed to?

I only ask because it seems to me if an email service is unable to forward email it fails a rather basic test of functionality.

M

Matth3w

It was a violation of their policies...can't forward the mail. It wasn't that it wasn't working - it worked for a few weeks...then they caught on and stopped it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was a violation of their policies...can't forward the mail. It wasn't that it wasn't working - it worked for a few weeks...then they caught on and stopped it.

OK. Well, I suppose it comes down to whether you want to use such a service. I realize that changing email providers can be a pita but I think I'd consider finding another provider if that's possible.

M

Matth3w

OK. Well, I suppose it comes down to whether you want to use such a service. I realize that changing email providers can be a pita but I think I'd consider finding another provider if that's possible.
Unfortunately I can't get rid of my Army account, I have to keep it. I don't use it as a primary though, my GMail is my primary.

I know it's not just the Army. I think I recall someone with Roadrunner doing the same thing.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately I can't get rid of my Army account, I have to keep it. I don't use it as a primary though, my GMail is my primary.

I know it's not just the Army. I think I recall someone with Roadrunner doing the same thing.

Well, I can certainly understand why the US Army might want to restrict email forwarding. In fact, it concerns me a little that it took them weeks to figure out you were able to do so. :)

vmann32

Reaction score
I have used hotmail acct for years and also had a gmail acct.When I got the Droid I made the gmail primary for obvious reasons.I also have a yahoo one, but the hotmail(not sure on Yahoo)will only forward to other hotmail (.msn, .live)accounts.Now its seems like they are trying to make it hard for you to move to another service.I have made another gmail and it kinda pisses me off the way hotmail does that but I am sure they all are similar.

swalser

Reaction score
I'm confused...

If you pull your mail to your GMail account from another email such as hotmail, etc. it won't show up on your phone but it will show up in your GMail account?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I have rackspace and go daddy email accounts and the droid does not seem to synch with these very well. I get worried that I am missing emails as when I get on my computer, there are emails in the account. Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks

Which email client are you using? When this happens, if you manually refresh the phone's client do the messages get downloaded?

vmann32

Reaction score
Seems like gmail works better with the Droid.I use the email app(not gmail) and added both gmail and hotmail to it but it seems like the gmail emails come through quicker.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems like gmail works better with the Droid.I use the email app(not gmail) and added both gmail and hotmail to it but it seems like the gmail emails come through quicker.

I suspect that that's because gmail doesn't have to be polled.

vmann32

Reaction score
Yeah it was likely made to work especially well with the Droid being a Google advertisement and all. I think I would like to have just gmail accounts but maybe I need the hotmail for some reason.=/