Droid DNA to HTC M8 or Samsung S5?

iamloco724

Reaction score
I want to upgrade to one of these phones, the things i dislike are with the m8 the menu keys are part of the display to me that seems to suck since you lose some screen space, the s5 im not big on plastic, im not sure how the back will feel is it like the leather on the note just with a grill like design?

cameras it seems the s5 has the advantage there

battery i should be fine either way

im struggling to make a decision

any opinions?

Last edited:

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I also have the htc droid dna and have an upgrade in a couple weeks.
My 3 choices are.....
Note 3 (getting old)
Samsung s5
HTC m8
Im leaning towards the s5 today... Or maybe wait for the note 4 since my dna is still a great phone.
I also know I can recoup 200+ for my dna with accessories.... Tough choice

Sent from my ROOTED HTC droid DNA using cyanogenMod 10.2

Secondlaw

Reaction score
Seems to me that had HTC not skimped on the camera, it would be the bomb.

Here's what I've been reading:

People tend to like the design of the HTC a bit better. The stereo speakers are located in the front of the device. It seems to have out performed the S5 in speed tests.

The Camera isn't a deal breaker but don't expect to make the pictures your desktop wall paper. Cell backgrounds, instagram, facebook pics.. no problem.

The benefits of the Samsung S5... The camera being number 1. Water resistant / Dust resistant is a big winner, easy battery removal, and USB 3 transfer rates + quicker charging on USB3 and its ability to choose the best available network!

People seem to be fed up with the Samsung design. I say so what. In the end, I think I'll go with the Samsung (I'm a fisherman and always in water). + I'm a photographer and I like to have the best available.

You didn't ask for it but I will mention the iPhone 5 is a terrific little device for photo's and video's, probably moreso than the Samsung.

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score
Anyone know what Verizon exchange is like, i know you have i think 14 days to do so, but if i got the s5 and decided to exchange for the m8 would that be possible in that time frame?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon = 14 days exchange

And don't jump on the S5 camera bandwagon so quickly. I have both and so far I haven't been as impressed with the S5's camera as I thought I would be. And the M8's definitely doesn't act like a 4 megapixel camera - they've done well with those 4 mp's.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
I agree on the camera, don't discount the M8. I have both devices and I am liking the M8 a bit more. I didn't intend on keeping the S5 in the first place due to circumstances around their developer series on the S4 and I have to say, I am not impressed enough to change my mind. TW vs Sense6 , I'd pick Sense in a heart beat.

Choosing a phone however is s very personal choice. "Feel" is important for everyone, so take the time to develop how they feel to you.

Sent From My DEV X

Secondlaw

Reaction score
Verizon = 14 days exchange

And don't jump on the S5 camera bandwagon so quickly. I have both and so far I haven't been as impressed with the S5's camera as I thought I would be. And the M8's definitely doesn't act like a 4 megapixel camera - they've done well with those 4 mp's.
I'm a professional photographer. I don't think bandwagon applies to me. I'm impressed with the S5. I can easily be persuaded with some pictures taken from the M8. I'd like to see what the 4mp photo's look like when blown up considerably.

OP
I

iamloco724

Reaction score
I played with them a little in store, is the M8 a good upgrade from the DNA?

livinginkaos

Reaction score
I've been using it as my daily for a week now. Love the thing.

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

wcjeep

Reaction score
The DNA has qi wireless charging built in. Not possible on the One m8. The S5 water resistance/dust resistance and qi charge ability was a big deal for me. After registering S Health I'm eligible for half off Samsung store under $50. Going to buy spare battery/external charger at $25.

rishi.b

Reaction score
I'll recommend HTC One M8

S5 v M8
Sound - M8 is better
processor performance - more or less the same
Design - M8 again
UI - S5
Camera - S5
Price - M8 is cheaper
Screen size - S5 is 0.1 inch bigger

Caesars

Reaction score
I'd have to go with the superior battery life of the s5 , hopefully I'll get mine today .

-=Note3=-=Gold5s=-