Droid died. Want to use an old BB in the meantime. How?

crewkip

Reaction score
Droid died the other day. I want to use an old BB I was using before I got the droid, so I know it works with Verizon.

What is it going to take to do this? Mainly:

1) How do I get contacts from the droid onto the BB?
2) Will Verizon even let me do this kind of switch without signing a new contract?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Export the contacts from your Google account, then import them thru either the RIM software, or the SD card on the phone.

2) Shouldnt be a problem (I did it when I went thru the warranty process, swapping between 2 Droids) - Dial *228, option 1 and punch in your cell number and account password in. There's a chance Verizon will want the ESN of the phone, and you may need to talk to a human. Since both phones require the data plan, and the BB was activated at one point, it shouldnt matter.

diverbelow

Reaction score
Droid died the other day. I want to use an old BB I was using before I got the droid, so I know it works with Verizon.

What is it going to take to do this? Mainly:

1) How do I get contacts from the droid onto the BB?
2) Will Verizon even let me do this kind of switch without signing a new contract?

1. You can use Google sync for BB and it will sync your contacts and calendar.
2. *228 options 1 and enter in your 10 digit phone number

OdinvsLoki

Reaction score
Great info, I've kept my BB as a back up phone as well and had to also go through the process of switching to the droid but not back. The Google sync is becoming more and more of a handy anywhere restore point for mobile devices.

:byestorm:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may not be as simple as the above posters indicated. Reason why is that the Blackberry uses a different data plan than the DROID.

A BB device MUST connect to RIMs servers, the plan is "Email and Web for Blackberry" - a DROID uses "Email and Web for Smartphones"

Even though the pricing is the same, the plan itself is different.

tbross319

Reaction score
there are a couple of steps you need to do
1)you can never go wrong dialing *611 and getting verizon to activate the phone for you, often times they need to manually change your MEID or HEX.
2)Try the *228 activation from the BB and see if that works (it will ask your 10 digit code and then the last four of the social of the account holder) I believe option 1 is activate a phone and *if there is* an option 3 might be transfer your phone, in this case, you should choose option 3.
3)going in to verizon-->they will do it for you, and no it doesn't cost anything. Activation fees only incur with the initial setup of the phone

once your phone is activated, hopefully without the aide of vz, you can get the data session going yourself. Dave is right, kind of. Connecting the BB with RIMS servers is actually really easy. Once the phone is activated/has a data signal, Go to Options->Host Routing Table->click the options/BB button->choose register now. Give the phone a minute, and you will receive a confirmation email/message saying welcome to blackberry, your phone has been successfully registered. After this is done, verizon will start pushing you all of the non standard BB apps (most notably the browser). Once the browser comes in, go to m.google.com, and download google sync...it wont do calendar or email, but it works perfectly for contacts

if you have any questions, post em back, if not, *611 (customer service) really is a great resource once you navigate their ridiculous automated service