Droid Bionic Random reboots and freezing.

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've had the Bionic since it came out and never really had a problem with it (other than the 3G dropping). Never rooted it or installed any untrustworthy apps, so this isn't a user problem as far as I can tell.

This is what's happening:

Two days ago while I was driving to class, I noticed a noise. Looked down and my Bionic was restarting itself. I figured it could have been some updates or something so I didn't think much of it. Then it happened again about 20 minutes later. After that, it didn't happen again all day. So I wake up the next morning for class and look at my phone (alarm going off) as I'm about to shut the alarm off, the screen goes black and pops up with the dual core screen. Drive to school again and it restarts 3 times while driving this time. One hour class it restarts 5 times. Go to work and it probably restarts 20 times in an 8 hour period. I get home, and by then it's constant restarts. Phone might be on for 5 minutes then it will restart. So I do a factory reset on the phone and it does nothing. It actually seems like the restarts have increased in frequency. It restarted 5 times while I was typing this paragraph. Also sometimes it'll just freeze like this morning it was on the dock and stuck at 5:10am, when it was 10 am. Or it will freeze on the Dual-Core screen when rebooting.

So what exactly can I do? I installed logcat somehow but the logs don't really seem to tell me anything. I insalled OSmonitor and watched the logs and it kept saying CPU1 Shutting down, booting secondary CPU over and over and over, so I think some hardware is screwed up here.

1. Should I call or go to the store? I'm not really sure what their return policy is. I'd like to get a replacement right away and not have to drop money on stupid shipping costs.
2. Is it possible to get a different model phone? I've heard too many problems with the Bionic to make me want to get another one. I'd love to get the Nexus without dropping $700.
3. Is there any possible fix i'm overlooking here? A factory reset was the last ditch effort as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention I also booted it into Safe Mode and it still restarted itself.

mamawm

Reaction score
try a hard reboot, with phone on, pull the battery, wait a few minutes and the reinstall battery and restart phone. i don't know why, but this seems to solve more issues for me than factory resetting does.

rumblee1

Reaction score
I agree with mamawm. Battery pulls seem to be a fix all (most of the time)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Nope, that doesn't help. Since it also freezes I have to pull the battery out anyways. Yesterday from 11:30AM to 11:30 PM (12 hours) it restarted 68 times. Only 3 times so far today, but it's been sitting on the charger all day.

mamawm

Reaction score
there is definitely something drastically wrong with your phone. sounds to me like some kind of hardware failure of the worst kind. if you call verizon customer service they will probably replace the phone with a refurb, you won't have to pay any shipping. were i in your shoes, i just might consider contacting motorola directly just to see what they have to say. their toll free customer service number is in that little piece of bloatware called "help center", it's under the support section. good luck and keep us posted.

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Not rooted timmy10shoes so that would be impossible to do. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and warranty it out. I use this phone for work also so I'll probably end up choosing a quicker shipping option than the standard 5 day free crap. Would they not be able to replace it in the store? From reading some stuff they changed their return policy so I'm pretty sure my only option is by phone or if they order it in the verizon store, right?