Droid Bionic now (hoping mid April) or Droid X 2/ Droid 3 later?

brooklyn2410

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
I have an upgrade ready. I was deciding between the TB or the Droid Bionic but now hearing more and more about the DX2 and the D3 should I wait for them or just stick with the Bionic?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
 

JoshSB

New Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
There could be some merit to upgrading now since Quad cores will be out by end of the year (according to nVidia), which will blow any single or dual out of the water (supposing the software is out of course).
 

EFGantry

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
362
Reaction score
5
personally, the Bionic has me a little hesitant given the pre-release rumors/reports of overheating problems. and now, there are reports of serious call quality issues with the Atrix (which one would presume would follow the Bionic). it still has all the potential of being a beast of a device - but like i said, i'm hesitant...

the X2 and D3 are dual cores, like the Bionic - but neither one (at least according to early rumors) will be 4G, unlike the Bionic (which will be 4G). the D3 has me a little intrigued because of some rumors that it may be an unlocked vanilla android device.

but the device that has me most excited is the Moto Targa, rumored to be coming Q3 or Q4. dual core (with some speculation of possibly, altho unlikely, being quad core), ffc, 4G, 13mp camera, 1gb ram (i think), and also possibly unlocked. i will be holding on to my D1, and not doing anything until i see what the Targa has in store!!! it is creating a lot of buzz, and could be the only real truly evolutionary Andy device we see from VZW this year.
 

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
7,533
Reaction score
5,018
Location
Ohio
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Eh just buy what you want now. If something better comes out, buy it retail and sell your phone. That is what I do. Just sold my DX for $230. The TB will easily bring that in if/when the targa/bionic/superman phones come out.
 

Droid101

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
688
Reaction score
1
Location
New York State
personally, the Bionic has me a little hesitant given the pre-release rumors/reports of overheating problems. and now, there are reports of serious call quality issues with the Atrix (which one would presume would follow the Bionic). it still has all the potential of being a beast of a device - but like i said, i'm hesitant....

Im sure that considering the bionic isnt being released till 2 months after the atrix then I would hope/think Motorola would have fixed that call quality issue already. I would think the atrix being out now is better for the bionic because motorola can fix all the bugs much quicker and easier than having to find a solution and fix thousands of others.

APril 21st is the exact date being rumored right now for a bionic release:)
 

EFGantry

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
362
Reaction score
5
personally, the Bionic has me a little hesitant given the pre-release rumors/reports of overheating problems. and now, there are reports of serious call quality issues with the Atrix (which one would presume would follow the Bionic). it still has all the potential of being a beast of a device - but like i said, i'm hesitant....

Im sure that considering the bionic isnt being released till 2 months after the atrix then I would hope/think Motorola would have fixed that call quality issue already. I would think the atrix being out now is better for the bionic because motorola can fix all the bugs much quicker and easier than having to find a solution and fix thousands of others.

APril 21st is the exact date being rumored right now for a bionic release:)

yeah, i would hope that any kinks/bugs would be worked out by the time it's released. but, with Moto and VZW, you never know. at the very least, i wouldn't buy it until a couple weeks after release to let everyone else test it out and see for sure if the bugs are gone...
 

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
11,254
Reaction score
1,268
Location
Austin, TX
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Targa is definitely worth waiting for. As far as the D3 being unlocked that's simply not true. It WILL be locked down.

I say If you can wait hold off for the Targa. You wont be disappointed.

Droid--->ether--->this thread
 
OP
B

brooklyn2410

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
I think I'm going with what Mustang02 said. I'm going to just get the bionic which im pretty sure is going to come out sometime in April and if the Targa is really that impressive I will just sell my bionic and get the Targa.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
 

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
0
It wouldn't surprise me for VZW to disappoint with the Targa however.... it's a sad reality. :(

I doubt I can wait til Q3/Q4 to upgrade however... I'd probably end up having to sell whatever I picked up in the between time from now til the Targa to make up the diff... but we'll see.

Not to mention Moto is supposedly working on their own OS now.... if it turns out to be a UI to differentiate themselves from other Android comp then great... but if it's a stand alone OS 1. I'm not interested 2. I hope they go down in flames.

I've lost faith in Moto.
 
Last edited:

DanSan

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2010
Messages
177
Reaction score
0
Location
Long Island, New York
ive got a moto droid since release date and ive been holding off for a solid phone to replace it. my brother got a DX last october and i was debating getting then heard about the thunderbolt and bionic in the works. I was going to get a DX since at the time I didnt think 4G was going to be in my area but recently its been getting very close (within 20-30) miles and i really want to get grandfathered into the $30/unlimited 4G plan. Ill be waiting for the bionic but if anything happens between now and then that ruins that idea ill grab the thunderbolt
 

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
0
ive got a moto droid since release date and ive been holding off for a solid phone to replace it. my brother got a DX last october and i was debating getting then heard about the thunderbolt and bionic in the works. I was going to get a DX since at the time I didnt think 4G was going to be in my area but recently its been getting very close (within 20-30) miles and i really want to get grandfathered into the $30/unlimited 4G plan. Ill be waiting for the bionic but if anything happens between now and then that ruins that idea ill grab the thunderbolt

Have you seen the updated list of cities to receive LTE service by the end of 2011?
 

EgooEspada

Member
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
637
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
It wouldn't surprise me for VZW to disappoint with the Targa however.... it's a sad reality. :(

I doubt I can wait til Q3/Q4 to upgrade however... I'd probably end up having to sell whatever I picked up in the between time from now til the Targa to make up the diff... but we'll see.

Not to mention Moto is supposedly working on their own OS now.... if it turns out to be a UI to differentiate themselves from other Android comp then great... but if it's a stand alone OS 1. I'm not interested 2. I hope they go down in flames.

I've lost faith in Moto.

You might as well pick up the Thunderbolt now and come the Fall pick up whatever beast HTC brings out. By looking at the Evo 3D, you can see HTC will have a great batch of devices coming this Summer and Fall.
 

DanSan

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2010
Messages
177
Reaction score
0
Location
Long Island, New York
ive got a moto droid since release date and ive been holding off for a solid phone to replace it. my brother got a DX last october and i was debating getting then heard about the thunderbolt and bionic in the works. I was going to get a DX since at the time I didnt think 4G was going to be in my area but recently its been getting very close (within 20-30) miles and i really want to get grandfathered into the $30/unlimited 4G plan. Ill be waiting for the bionic but if anything happens between now and then that ruins that idea ill grab the thunderbolt

Have you seen the updated list of cities to receive LTE service by the end of 2011?

No, but as far as i can tell.. i live on long island, new york and the 4G reception seems to end like i said, 20-30miles away so i should *crosses finger* getting full 4G or partial 4G in my area sometime during the summer or maybe fall?
 

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
0
It wouldn't surprise me for VZW to disappoint with the Targa however.... it's a sad reality. :(

I doubt I can wait til Q3/Q4 to upgrade however... I'd probably end up having to sell whatever I picked up in the between time from now til the Targa to make up the diff... but we'll see.

Not to mention Moto is supposedly working on their own OS now.... if it turns out to be a UI to differentiate themselves from other Android comp then great... but if it's a stand alone OS 1. I'm not interested 2. I hope they go down in flames.

I've lost faith in Moto.

You might as well pick up the Thunderbolt now and come the Fall pick up whatever beast HTC brings out. By looking at the Evo 3D, you can see HTC will have a great batch of devices coming this Summer and Fall.

I've been contemplating getting the TB if I'm gonna stay with VZW.
 

xier

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2011
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Eh just buy what you want now. If something better comes out, buy it retail and sell your phone. That is what I do. Just sold my DX for $230. The TB will easily bring that in if/when the targa/bionic/superman phones come out.


Is that all a clean ESN DX will bring?
 
Top