Droid Bionic Network Type & Strength ONLY showing 1x

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Greetings. My friend got a droid bionic with a bad esn and ask me to flash it to cricket for him. I've flashed several different types of phones to cricket and have been successful at getting talk, txt, mms and 3G data working on all of them... until now. Talk and text work fine but the data won't work.

I've tried multiple prls but that doesn't seem to be the issue. One thing that has me concerned is that whenever I tap the "Network type and strength" option under about phone instead of showing both 1x and 3G information it ONLY shows 1x. Is it possible that the 3G radio chip on this device is dead?

I've tried switching between cdma only, lte/cdma, and global network modes. I've made sure data is enabled and data while roaming is enabled. The 3G icon NEVER appears at all! :mad:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to give my friend the bad news that he has a faulty Bionic.:sad:

Is there any way to test the radio chips with an app or something?

bbucks36

Reaction score
Ive never tried to flash to another network.. but if you have a Verizon sim card..flash the bionic back to stock and see if it picks up Verizon towers...

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I solved the issue. I was setting the phone to CDMA auto (PRL) since being flashed the 4G Lte won't work but the setting wasn't sticking. After some digging I found a post that mentioned going under the ##program menu >> Test Mode >> next >> next >> Network Mode. From there I just needed to set network mode to CDMA and EVDO which made the setting stick and made the phone use the prl from the NV rather than from the sim card. At this point the Network type and strength went from only showing 1x and having the signal fluctuating all over the place to showing more stable 1x and 3G signals. At any rate my friend is happy and I'm relieved it wasn't a hardware issue.

woodmomx2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
this is exactly what is going on with my husbands cell. We moved to a rural location, and are using an extender which works great for all of us BUT him! I noticed that his cell never shows the 3G signal. Called Verizon tech, they did some magic on their end, but it still didn't show up. :( I've read and reread what you did to fix it, but I am NOT a techy person...lol....can you please tell me how to get to: " going under the ##program menu >> Test Mode >> next >> next >> Network Mode. From there I just needed to set network mode to CDMA and EVDO which made the setting stick and made the phone use the prl from the NV rather than from the sim card." how do I do that????

Thanks!