Droid Bionic Data drops- fix

smokeyrd

Reaction score
For a long time I was one of the lucky ones that did not have to deal with the data issues that were plaguing the rest of you. Unfortunately, after the .905 update, I started getting data drops where the phone would cycle from "Blue 4G" to "White 4G" to "White No G (just cellular coverage)" back to "White 4G" then up to "Blue 4G". When this problem occurs, the device will usually revert back to "White 4G" state upon attempt to use data. Sometimes you can get it to reconnect by cycling airplane mode, other times you must restart the device. If you dont want to read my top-to-bottom explanation of "how it went down", skip to the last paragraph.

I then took the following steps with the guidance of verizon:
1) Factory reset (3 or 4 times)
2) Replacement Device
3) More factory resets
4) Replaced SIM card
5) Replacement Device #2
6) Replacement Device #3
7) continued opening cases with verizon when i had time to call in to keep the case alive in their system
8) contacted motorola directly and demanded a refund or alternate device

Part 8 happened today but i wanted to give you an idea of how many loops I went thru to get everything documented. This has been going on since about May 20th but you can certainly accelerate the process by not waiting for as long as I did between replacement devices (about 2 weeks normally). Motorola will state that it is their policy to not give alternate devices out and also that because the replacement happened via Verizon, they were not involved in the replacement so they have no records regarding the problem.

A couple of important facts to state in my case were as follows:
1) Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is applicable to this device (better known as the lemon law)
2) Device has been replaced 3 times and I am now on the 4th device, placing the device under the legal definition of "lemon"
3) Verizon acted as an agent of Motorola Mobility during the replacement process of the device under the Motorola Warranty terms. (this will be contested...just keep repeating yourself calmly)
4) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is applicable ONLY to the manufacturer/warrantor of the device, any refund/replacement MUST be done by the device manufacturer directly. (no matter where you purchased the device, motorola is directly responsible for it under the terms of the warranty)

If they dont take your argument initially, ask for a supervisor. I had to be transferred from a rep to a supervisor, then to a rep in the Escalation Department, then finally to a Customer Advocacy Representative. The escalation department rep did most of the footwork collecting the background from verizon so be sure to be very polite yet firm with this person. The first rep will tell you that they cant be on the phone with you while you talk to verizon to collect the serial numbers of the old devices, as may the second rep. By the time i got to the rep for the Escalation Department they were willing to sit on the line with me while they got all the pertinent information from verizon.

At this point, I am on the line with the Escalation Dept Rep and the Customer Advocate after gathering all the other info. The customer advocate will be understanding but you must go through the entire history quickly and give them the run-down of what all has happened. In my case, they agreed to a replacement device/upgrade. It is up to you what you push for but a Razr is the most likely route.

For those of you that skipped, Motorola is shipping me a new (alternate) device (Razr Maxx) because of all the problems with the Bionic and the facts that I had it all documented with verizon. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with them but it was all done on the first call. Be sure to get your case number! Hopefully this will help some of you that are having this problem to get some sort of "final" resolution assuming you are just tired of dealing with the problems with this device. Good luck!

Mike8016

Reaction score
I am going through the same thing. They offered me a Razr and i declined. So they told me they were going to investigate the problem. I get a call today saying they want to give me a replacement device. I am on hold right now and they are going to send me a nexus. The key is to be consistent.

OP
smokeyrd

smokeyrd

Reaction score
I had my verizon rep for my company offer me a nexus earlier in the process but it would have renewed my 2 year cycle and frankly, Im wanting to get one of the top end devices that im expecting to come out over the holiday season when my early renewal pops in january so I declined. Honestly the only reason Verizon offered was because of the corporate account but this was done directly through motorola so doesnt impact my contract at all...only downside is it doesnt renew the warranty terms so if i have problems with the Razr Maxx then im kinda screwed after the bionic warranty wears out. I agree that the key is consistency...know what you want and stick to your guns. I also have personal preference to motorola devices so this was a win-win for me...minus the wait time.

Mike8016

Reaction score
I had my verizon rep for my company offer me a nexus earlier in the process but it would have renewed my 2 year cycle and frankly, Im wanting to get one of the top end devices that im expecting to come out over the holiday season when my early renewal pops in january so I declined. Honestly the only reason Verizon offered was because of the corporate account but this was done directly through motorola so doesnt impact my contract at all...only downside is it doesnt renew the warranty terms so if i have problems with the Razr Maxx then im kinda screwed after the bionic warranty wears out. I agree that the key is consistency...know what you want and stick to your guns. I also have personal preference to motorola devices so this was a win-win for me...minus the wait time.

I love Motorola phones. I think they are built the best. But I don't like the Razr series since it doesn't have a removable battery. They offered me a rezound today also there no way i would buy a HTC phone they are complete junk in my opinion.

OP
smokeyrd

smokeyrd

Reaction score
When I was dealing directly with Verizon Customer Service, they offered me a Rezound as well and I turned them down...I really dont like HTC either and Im certainly not going to buy one with the earnings reports that have been coming out recently...no telling how long they will be around. The fact that i cant do a battery swap is a bit troublesome but i still think its the best phone from motorola thats currently on the market. I hope to see some new devices this holiday season but well see if they come to the plate with anything inspiring.

brunla

Reaction score
Going through the same thing. Do you like the Razr Max?

For a long time I was one of the lucky ones that did not have to deal with the data issues that were plaguing the rest of you. Unfortunately, after the .905 update, I started getting data drops where the phone would cycle from "Blue 4G" to "White 4G" to "White No G (just cellular coverage)" back to "White 4G" then up to "Blue 4G". When this problem occurs, the device will usually revert back to "White 4G" state upon attempt to use data. Sometimes you can get it to reconnect by cycling airplane mode, other times you must restart the device. If you dont want to read my top-to-bottom explanation of "how it went down", skip to the last paragraph.

I then took the following steps with the guidance of verizon:
1) Factory reset (3 or 4 times)
2) Replacement Device
3) More factory resets
4) Replaced SIM card
5) Replacement Device #2
6) Replacement Device #3
7) continued opening cases with verizon when i had time to call in to keep the case alive in their system
8) contacted motorola directly and demanded a refund or alternate device

Part 8 happened today but i wanted to give you an idea of how many loops I went thru to get everything documented. This has been going on since about May 20th but you can certainly accelerate the process by not waiting for as long as I did between replacement devices (about 2 weeks normally). Motorola will state that it is their policy to not give alternate devices out and also that because the replacement happened via Verizon, they were not involved in the replacement so they have no records regarding the problem.

A couple of important facts to state in my case were as follows:
1) Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is applicable to this device (better known as the lemon law)
2) Device has been replaced 3 times and I am now on the 4th device, placing the device under the legal definition of "lemon"
3) Verizon acted as an agent of Motorola Mobility during the replacement process of the device under the Motorola Warranty terms. (this will be contested...just keep repeating yourself calmly)
4) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is applicable ONLY to the manufacturer/warrantor of the device, any refund/replacement MUST be done by the device manufacturer directly. (no matter where you purchased the device, motorola is directly responsible for it under the terms of the warranty)

If they dont take your argument initially, ask for a supervisor. I had to be transferred from a rep to a supervisor, then to a rep in the Escalation Department, then finally to a Customer Advocacy Representative. The escalation department rep did most of the footwork collecting the background from verizon so be sure to be very polite yet firm with this person. The first rep will tell you that they cant be on the phone with you while you talk to verizon to collect the serial numbers of the old devices, as may the second rep. By the time i got to the rep for the Escalation Department they were willing to sit on the line with me while they got all the pertinent information from verizon.

At this point, I am on the line with the Escalation Dept Rep and the Customer Advocate after gathering all the other info. The customer advocate will be understanding but you must go through the entire history quickly and give them the run-down of what all has happened. In my case, they agreed to a replacement device/upgrade. It is up to you what you push for but a Razr is the most likely route.

For those of you that skipped, Motorola is shipping me a new (alternate) device (Razr Maxx) because of all the problems with the Bionic and the facts that I had it all documented with verizon. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with them but it was all done on the first call. Be sure to get your case number! Hopefully this will help some of you that are having this problem to get some sort of "final" resolution assuming you are just tired of dealing with the problems with this device. Good luck!

OP
smokeyrd

smokeyrd

Reaction score
I love it so far. I have noticed less battery life but when you go from an extended battery on a bionic to the built in...you cant expect much more out of it. Its a great phone but i am still having some data drop issues...I think these are network related though. Tend to be in the same area as i drive by so i cant really complain.

bodogg

Reaction score
Smokeyrd......thanks man!!! followed your steps...... finally after a year of B.S. from motorola and the carrier, now in hind site not responsible for Motorola's defective devices they are replacing my bionic with another device!!! Again man thanks!! Vindicated!!!!!