Droid(and Snapdragon phones) against A4?

Elysian

Reaction score
Was just inspired by this older benchmark, since I loaded 2.2 on my phone... Heres the link, the Nexus one doesn't look very good by comparison, but it's running 2.1... So I'm at 1ghz on my Droid, and decided to do a bunch of the tests they did...

Apple's iPad A4 SoC: Faster than the Nexus One's Snapdragon? - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

First, I did the browser tests they did, setting the browser to desktop user agent.

Anandtech: 6s
Digg: 4s(though I'm not certain it was the full site, it seemed kind of stripped down, I couldn't get it to come up in any other mode)
Tomshardware: 5s
Arstechnica: 5s

I got tired of running them at this point, because it's pretty boring.

So I went on to SunSpider. The iPad completed it in a rather admirable 10475ms. My Droid at 1ghz?

4be57509.jpg

Almost a full 1000ms faster than the iPad. This doesn't bode well for the iPhone 4 either, and it's really not the huge leap people were making A4 out to be when the iPad first came out, IMO. Just thought I'd share.

mach330

Reaction score
interesting results. can't wait to see when froyo is implemented.

rebel541

Reaction score
Cool, another benchmark to test froyo and P3's kernels! I scored a 6561.4ms with the 1200mhz kernel.

OP
E

Elysian

Reaction score
Cool, another benchmark to test froyo and P3's kernels! I scored a 6561.4ms with the 1200mhz kernel.

Nice! My phone was very unstable at 1250, so I'm weary to try 1200... I may give it a shot though, I loaded all the oc kernels on here in a subfolder.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
Yeah, the new iPhone is nice, but its NOT the fastest one out there, obviously. 5MP camera? Big deal, the Droid has had one since November. Biggest thing is, Flash for 2.2 (Froyo) and still no Flash on the iPhone. Surprise, surprise.

rebel541

Reaction score
Have you tried the faster kernels since flashing froyo? I couldn't run at 1200 before with P3's or bekit's kernels, but with froyo I can. I also had to install setcpu to see the real performance gains. Before setcpu, I ran mid 9s on linpack with the 800mhz kernel P3 gave us with froyo, and when I installed the faster kernels my score dropped to 0.77, so setcpu was the only way for me to make use of the 1200mhz kernel.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yeah, the new iPhone is nice, but its NOT the fastest one out there, obviously. 5MP camera? Big deal, the Droid has had one since November. Biggest thing is, Flash for 2.2 (Froyo) and still no Flash on the iPhone. Surprise, surprise.

I'd actually take a 5MP camera with a good CCD over a 10MP camera with an average or crappy CCD any day of the week.

The images that they posted from apple look pretty good! Granted, they are hand picked to help sell the phone.

I'm just sayin'. It's not about the MPs if you don't have a good CCD.

OP
E

Elysian

Reaction score
Have you tried the faster kernels since flashing froyo? I couldn't run at 1200 before with P3's or bekit's kernels, but with froyo I can. I also had to install setcpu to see the real performance gains. Before setcpu, I ran mid 9s on linpack with the 800mhz kernel P3 gave us with froyo, and when I installed the faster kernels my score dropped to 0.77, so setcpu was the only way for me to make use of the 1200mhz kernel.

I didn't try the 1250 kernel until after Froyo, most I went before Froyo was 1ghz.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
2.2 stock browser @ 1GHz
droidsunspider.png

My desktop does it a bit faster at 413 milliseconds.

Last edited: