Droid 4

addictedhacks

Reaction score
I hope to see more development for the D4. I really like this phone alot being that my first droid was the D2. I know we have a couple roms but are only ports from the razr that haven't been updated for a few months. hopefully we can at least get our hands on a rom built specifically for the D4.
I really do appreciate all the work that comes and wish I had the talent to dev. If this were a petition I would ask it to be signed.

Last edited:

kwyrt

Reaction score
Is there a reason why there is no development for the Droid 4? Is this a bad phone? When I had my D2 there was so much to do I didnt no where to start. I really want a Droid 4 but not if theres nothing to do with it. Is there any reason why nothing is out for this phone?
Ummm... What are you talking about? The phone had only been out 3 months and we already have 3 nice ICS betas in CM9, AOKP, and Gummy. And we have a fantastic, super stable GB ROM in Eclipse. Development is coming along quite nicely for this phone IMO. The D4 is a great phone.

xredjokerx

Reaction score
Well..

The droid 4 targets a very specific niche market.

If you observe the trend--physical qwerty phones have been on a decline since the droid1/G1. Because of that, no manufacturer wants to make a flagship keyboard phone (for fear that it wont sell as well as the thin slabs). In addition, more and more people have become accustomed to using onscreen keyboards, and some people have never even used a physical qwerty.

Also, motorola seems to think that having a locked bootloader will somehow still attract people... so it steers developers away. Granted there are ways around it now, but that is because of VERY VERY talented and dedicated developers who wouldnt give up.

Personally, I've had both and I absolutely LOVE having a qwerty keypad. But you must understand that the demand for this phone is lower than most--with other phones like the Rezound, Nexus and Razr (all marketed to different target niches), I'd say the droid 4 is overshadowed.

Thus, the developer base is also lower. We're lucky to have people like hash and myfishbear (as well as many other very talented devs), otherwise we'd be nowhere. Also, flashing roms is only cool for so long, after a while you start to desire a stable rom and a solid functioning phone and I think it is safe to say that the droid 4 is just that. Solid, well performing phone that is stable (I'm running eclipse), that has an amazing keyboard.

If you want to be a flashaholic, you should jump onto another niche phone, like the nexus. :)

OP
addictedhacks

addictedhacks

Reaction score
I dont see how that possibly answers why theres not much development for the D4. LOL. Are you trying to say that not a lot of Devs went out of there way to get the D4? That makes sense. Anyway I already own the Nexus and honestly prefer the D4 or anything else over that. I only wish we had more updates on the ROMS like all the other sick phones like the Rezound. Anyway I am sure once a Dev gives this phone a chance some really nice stuff would take place! :biggrin:

podspi

Reaction score
I dont see how that possibly answers why theres not much development for the D4. LOL. Are you trying to say that not a lot of Devs went out of there way to get the D4? That makes sense. Anyway I already own the Nexus and honestly prefer the D4 or anything else over that. I only wish we had more updates on the ROMS like all the other sick phones like the Rezound. Anyway I am sure once a Dev gives this phone a chance some really nice stuff would take place! :biggrin:

His answer was:

"There is a lot of development for the D4, especially considering its age (young) and locked down hardware (boo!)".

The D4 has AOKP, CM9, and Eclipse ports. People are also working on using a hardware exploit to boot custom kernels, and it looks like we'll eventually be able to use GSM networks reliably. What more are you looking for? :D

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
The D4 has only been around since late Jan\Feb. All the phones you mentioned rezound, razr, gnex, have been around for at least 6 months.
We have 3 ics roms. Gummy, aokp, and cm7.
2 GB roms eclipse and artic.
As well as a few stock roms bloated and bloat free.
For a phone with a locked bootloader that's barely 4 months old that's a great frickin start.
If you want more learn to dev and get busy.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
addictedhacks

addictedhacks

Reaction score
Ok guys if I wanted to DEV I would. I didnt need anyone to tell me to learn to dev. This thread was not made to complain, bicker or argue, but to be more of a petition for more development. Its obvious you guys havent had a taste of full device dev support, and dont get it twisted I appreciate any and everything that comes out for any android and I do what I can to help the community. I will no longer comment on the matter and hope you guys have better stuff to do than repeating the same thing over again and again. Because there IS a huge lack of dev on the D4, Just saying. We do have an ICS rom updated 3/16 right? And its a port. 2 months have gone by. However once again I do appreciate the Dev. I just hate to see a repeat of what happened to the Droid Charge and the Bionic.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Ok guys if I wanted to DEV I would. I didnt need anyone to tell me to learn to dev. This thread was not made to complain, bicker or argue, but to be more of a petition for more development. Its obvious you guys havent had a taste of full device dev support, and dont get it twisted I appreciate any and everything that comes out for any android and I do what I can to help the community. I will no longer comment on the matter and hope you guys have better stuff to do than repeating the same thing over again and again. Because there IS a huge lack of dev on the D4, Just saying. We do have an ICS rom updated 3/16 right? And its a port. 2 months have gone by. However once again I do appreciate the Dev. I just hate to see a repeat of what happened to the Droid Charge and the Bionic.
I think you just got off on the wrong foot with the D4 community here. Your first post in this thread (which was the first post I had seen from you in the D4 section) came off like, "Hey, how come there's no development for this crappy phone?". We all LOVE this phone. And you haven't done much to dispel that first impression. Even your helpful (and appreciated) post on wifi tethering started off with "since its so hard to find anything good for this phone". It's like every post of yours in here has started off with something negative. Most of us are pretty happy with the development for this phone. And actually, as I stated in my previous post, there are NIGHTLY builds for CM9 and AOKP and semi-nightly builds for Gummy as well. Not sure where you got the "last updated 03/16" info. So, while development may not be to the same level as some other phones (GNex, etc.) it's far from dead.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
one thing that you must understand about moto phones is that development always starts of "slow". You used the bionic as an example I had the bionic, it is a freaking awesome phone. If you still follow it to in any capacity you will see that dev support has exploded over the last 3 or so months. Now that we have an official version of ics to go off of our rom choices will be getting better. Hashcode and dhacker are currently working on a modified ics aosp rom for the RAZR and d4.
I think the issue is that you don't know where to find the roms/nightlies that are available. if there is not a post here on this forum with links to the new builds and where to get them I will start one tonight after work. as stated above you may have a valid question but the way you are presenting it leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of those reading it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk