Droid 4 With CWM Rom Manager and Safe Strap

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
that's how safestrap works. Safemode in safestrap boots into whatever custom rom you install, if none is present it doesn't know what to do so you get a black screen.

Turning off safemode/disabling safestrap loads your stock rom.

So the terminology may be unfamiliar. Safemode= boot into custom rom while your stock rom is "safe", not safe as in you are safe because you're back to the stock rom. Safemode off/disabling safestrap boots the stock rom.

In this type of system it seems like a backup is unecessary since booting into a custom rom keeps your stock rom safe and to get back to stock you have to be out of safemode or have safestrap disabled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be my understanding.

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
that's how safestrap works. Safemode in safestrap boots into whatever custom rom you install, if none is present it doesn't know what to do so you get a black screen.

Turning off safemode/disabling safestrap loads your stock rom.

So the terminology may be unfamiliar. Safemode= boot into custom rom while your stock rom is "safe", not safe as in you are safe because you're back to the stock rom. Safemode off/disabling safestrap boots the stock rom.

In this type of system it seems like a backup is unecessary since booting into a custom rom keeps your stock rom safe and to get back to stock you have to be out of safemode or have safestrap disabled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be my understanding.

Thats how its supposed to work, after you enabled safe system the recovery still booted the same way correct? So you had the option to disable it and it went back to stock rooted?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I didn't do it, this is what I gather from reading posts on Hash's website.

Safemode does not load recovery, it loads a custom rom. I'm not sure if recovery is saved as a zip, maybe that's why you can't install recovery in safemode.

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
I didn't do it, this is what I gather from reading posts on Hash's website.

Safemode does not load recovery, it loads a custom rom. I'm not sure if recovery is saved as a zip, maybe that's why you can't install recovery in safemode.

I toggled safe system and it said backing up, it completed successfully and booted to a black screen cause we have no rom to install. I then did a hard reboot and disabled safe system and rebooted to my stock root with no recovery i then reinstalled recovery and am awaiting a rom.

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
It seems like enabling safe system changes the folder the phone boots from and leaves original stock root untouched when you disable safe system it removes the recovery and boots like it should

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hashcode received a D4 this week so look for a dedicated D4 Safestrap. In the mean time, don't use the RAZR one. They are all a little different on the backend.

Patience is a virtue.

In the meanwhile, if you'd like to learn about Safestrap, check out the guides in my signature. D3, Bionic and RAZR Safestrap contain the same functions.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

diablo85

Reaction score
so for users that already have the razr safestrap installed, when the D4 safestrap comes out, is it as simple as uninstalling the razr safestrap and then installing the D4 safestrap?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so for users that already have the razr safestrap installed, when the D4 safestrap comes out, is it as simple as uninstalling the razr safestrap and then installing the D4 safestrap?

Yes it is.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Hashcode received a D4 this week so look for a dedicated D4 Safestrap. In the mean time, don't use the RAZR one. They are all a little different on the backend.

Patience is a virtue.

In the meanwhile, if you'd like to learn about Safestrap, check out the guides in my signature. D3, Bionic and RAZR Safestrap contain the same functions.

thats good news!!!!

Joseph007

Reaction score
Okay....*rubs hands together*...got a THIRD one...off to ONLY ROOT it and not remove ANYTHING, only freeze it.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Okay....*rubs hands together*...got a THIRD one...off to ONLY ROOT it and not remove ANYTHING, only freeze it.

well hopeully it turns out ok for you.... what did bestbuy say when you returned it....they prolly barely looked at it... verizon actually turned on my buddies d3 he bricked and sent him away...... luckily there is rumor of good things comming possibly a sbf so maybe we will all get some love soon.... i am really hoping that we will see a unlocked booloader:blink: but lord knows.

Joseph007

Reaction score
well hopeully it turns out ok for you.... what did bestbuy say when you returned it....they prolly barely looked at it... verizon actually turned on my buddies d3 he bricked and sent him away...... luckily there is rumor of good things comming possibly a sbf so maybe we will all get some love soon.... i am really hoping that we will see a unlocked booloader:blink: but lord knows.

There was nothing said. I even asked, and the said since it was within 30 days they didn't care.