Droid 4 With CWM Rom Manager and Safe Strap

Hooks405

Reaction score
Droid 4 with Safe Strap

View attachment 47313

** STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using the following tools. When in doubt, PLAY IT SAFE. **

1 - Root Droid 4 (2.3.6) Motofail exploit - Thanks Dan Rosenberg
2- Install [BOOTSTRAP] Safestrap for RAZR [02/07/2012 V1.08] [CDMA ONLY] [BOOTSTRAP] Safestrap for RAZR [02/07/2012 V1.08] [CDMA ONLY] - xda-developers

To boot into CWM Recovery simply turn the device on and when you see [SAFE SYSTEM: DISABLED] press the menu key and you will enter CWM Recovery.
Always make a Nandroid back-up before flashing Roms or anything else. I will update if i decide im brave enough to try a rom.

2/12/12 Update : I did a Nandroid backup while safe system was disabled, I did not try to flash it in either mode. I myself am holding out until I can get an SBF file or another means of restoring original firmware.

2/15/12 Update : I enabled safe system, after enabling safe system the recovery backs up original rom and starts safe system. After safe system is enabled if we had a rom to flash we would then do that. And phone would boot the same way with the option to enter recovery or continue since there isnt a rom yet you would boot recovery and go to advanced > disable safe strap and it will remove the alternative recovery and boot normally. You must then reinstall recovery the same way as before

Last edited:

*86eyerok*

Reaction score
Invalid Flash Mode (Boot Failure) / Bricked Droid 4?

Please help!!

I did the above method and was rooted with rom manger and everything was working good. I did a nandroid backup and like I always do flash the backup to make sure its all good before I rom it. Well...this is the error I get when I power it up "Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure) / Bricked Droid 4"? I have held both volume up and down buttons together with the power button to get to recovery but nothing! Any one no any other key cobination to factory rest these droid 4?

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
Did you enable safe mode before flashing the nandroid?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

*86eyerok*

Reaction score
Did you enable safe mode before flashing the nandroid?

Thanks for the reply Hooks!

Actually I know a couple guys who work at the Verizon store near me and they replaced it. And No, I did not enable flash mode before flashing. So I take it thats why the flash didnt work? How do I go about enabling that feature?

Reaction score
Just like i said only a few days before a root would be released

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Anyone know if the CWM Touch recovery works for this? I suspect it's not been attempted seeing how no one's released an SBF for the D4 yet.. :p

Edit: Just tried to see if it would even attempt to do it, and it told me the touch recovery is not yet available for this device. It's likely safe to assume that will change as soon as the CWM people get ahold of a Droid 4 and get it added in.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
On the main recovery screen it says Safe Boot menu > toggle Safe Boot
But warning i have not tried it yet since there isnt an sbf or other recovery method if bootloop or brick

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Hooks!

Actually I know a couple guys who work at the Verizon store near me and they replaced it. And No, I did not enable flash mode before flashing. So I take it thats why the flash didnt work? How do I go about enabling that feature?

So you messed up your phone and then brought it back.... no offense this is why they dont want to unlock the bootloaders... now i know exactly what you are about to say if the bootloaders were unlocked i would be able to reflash... but honestly they dont see it that way... all they see is devices being returned broken after 3 days due to something that is hacked.....please dont do something you dont understand it never turns out good

harajyuks

Reaction score
So you messed up your phone and then brought it back.... no offense this is why they dont want to unlock the bootloaders... now i know exactly what you are about to say if the bootloaders were unlocked i would be able to reflash... but honestly they dont see it that way... all they see is devices being returned broken after 3 days due to something that is hacked.....please dont do something you dont understand it never turns out good

By this logic people wouldn't learn how to mod their phones... I think learning is a process and a few mistakes are necessary to matriculate

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

tdpolo26

Reaction score
By this logic people wouldn't learn how to mod their phones... I think learning is a process and a few mistakes are necessary to matriculate

oh i agree with you ....i am saying how motorola views it.... matt over there talks all the time about all the bricked devices they get in. He also sympathizes i feel not really saying it but its almost implied that if we had FULL access then it wouldnt be as huge of a problem. I dont understand why motorola doesnt try to use it as a money maker and charge 50 bucks for a un bricking. When you are doing something you shouldnt be you should be prepared to live with the consequences, its nice his friends could help him but if they get alot of this it does not look good.... Or maybe we all should do it and send them enough bricks to bury motorola in.....lol. I personally am going to wait till there is a sbf or fast boot or something to save my butt if i screw it up so i can try and fix it. I am glad others are worth taking the risk though to pave the way for me eventually i dont have the guts yet. i do have a best buy warranty and it covers just about everything especially at the store i go to they are great there.

OP
H

Hooks405

Reaction score
It seems that unlocked bootloaders would be more open source so the files to restore or fix a developer phone are more readily available than non developer phones with locked bootloaders.

*86eyerok*

Reaction score

I do know what I'm doing, bro! I might not know how to develop the root but I sure know how all this works. I been rooting and roming my phones since the Droid one. I was to impatient and just to early without being able to flash back to stock if something goes wrong.

B-Unit

Reaction score

No one said dont learn, what we are saying is it isn't VZW or Moto's job to subsidize your learning experience.