Droid 4 SetCPU clockspeed Qs

JesseMoore62

Reaction score
Im sorry if this seems like a bit of a noob question, but Ive read about SetCPU and the jist of what it does, but I still dont really understand the ups and downs/ helps or dangers of it. I would like to know what the min and max means, how to make clockspeeds faster, and what to/not do. I am running D4HD on 4.0.4 atm.

B-Unit

Reaction score
To understand how SetCPU works, you need to understand a bit about how your phone's kernel controls your CPU. The kernel will define 5 stages of CPU power (Mhz/voltage combinations, i.e. 300Mhz, 830mV; 1200Mhz, 1220mV). As the workload on your phone varries, the CPU will vary its speed up and down to conserve power (lower speed eats less battery). SetCPU gives you the ability to change the paramaters that define when the CPU speed is varied. This allows you to either emphisize battery life or performance, depending on your needs or wants.

Custom kernels allow for clockspeeds outside of Motorola's paramaters. At this time, custom kernel developement for Droid4 is not particularly robust.

OP
JesseMoore62

JesseMoore62

Reaction score
I figured not. I haven't been able to find very many options for this particular model. And I may need to research some more to find out exactly what megahertz and voltages have to do in the grand scheme, but this was helpful, and I thank you.