Droid 4 Input Method not working randomly

EgoGone

Reaction score
Hey all, Just recently upgraded my Droid 4 to ICS. Did a factory reset and then got the official update. Now, when texting, there is a small icon from the drop down menu. In my case it is:

Select input method
English (US) - Motorola Input

I use the physical keyboard almost all of the time, by the way. Anyway, sometimes when I'm texting, that little icon does not show up. With its absence is also the absence of any language settings I have. Auto-correct and auto-capitalization functionality is completely lost.

I don't understand why this is happening or how to fix it. I've fiddled with the "language and input" settings as much as I can, but every now and then the icon and the functionality it brings decides not to "load" when texting.

Truly frustrating.

Urge2Herbal

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. It works fine everywhere except in the texting program

OP
E

EgoGone

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll be even more happy if there is a way to fix it.

In the meantime I'm going to try other various texting apps to see if they suffer from the same problem.

vaporeyes

Reaction score
Same boat, please help!

I'm having the same issue as these guys.... It was there before ICS update, but now the little keyboard option pops up (annoying) and I now noticed that it's gone and so is the ability of my phone to correct my poor grammar. WTF!?

I also noticed that "swype" is defaulted in the "language and input" settings... I don't use swype, nor do I ever want to, but yet it's the default? Why? I don't remember gingerbread defaulting to swype... Also, in the same menu I have "Spelling Indicator" checked. When I try to select the gear to the right, the proceeding page "settings prosumably" is completely blank. I suspect there's a coding error that's causing the problem... If so, does anyone know the fix for this bug? An email address, or POC to launch a complaint so we can get this issue resolved? Thanks in advance.

Here are my current settings:
-Word Suggestions; all checked
-Auto-Correct; all checked

Physical Keyboard settings:
-Auto-Replace; checked
-Auto-Caps; checked
-Auto-Punc; checked

Urge2Herbal

Reaction score
I think I know what your problem is, did you freeze any apps? If so, make sure that "Motorola Input" is not frozen. If it is, unfreeze it and you should be all set

OP
E

EgoGone

Reaction score
Didn't freeze any apps, but I found a temporary workaround.

Just tap area where you type when texting. That activated the input method (autocorrect and other functionality). Still, sometimes it loads the input method and sometimes it doesn't. The problem remains, but a single tap every now and then isn't too bad a "fix".

Obey15

Reaction score
Droid 4

I think I know what your problem is, did you freeze any apps? If so, make sure that "Motorola Input" is not frozen. If it is, unfreeze it and you should be all set

How do i unfreeze it?