Droid 3 Performance

akhi216

Reaction score
I read somewhere, these phones are locked only within the US and if we use it outside the US, it would be Ok (restriction free) so I can use a Telstra, Optus or Vodafone sim card...not sure if it's true though.

I know this is true for a fact with the D3. If you get a D3 and get the sim unlock code for it, you can use any sim card anywhere except the US. All global phone like the D3 can do this.

Also, if we put ICS to Droid 3, it will probably use even more RAM. Most of the RAM is probably taken by Motoblur and the Verizon bloatware (especially) anyway.... If we put a custom ROM, that would make things better.

The thing about putting ICS is that fact that you can freeze bloatware without rooting. You can freeze any app no matter what so if RAM is an issue for you you can just freeze it and it won't use any RAM or run int the background until you open it again. So ICS won't be a problem.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

akhi216

Reaction score
Thank you all (especially akhi216) for your replies, I really appreciate it. As far as SD card app performance is concerned, that could also be related to the type of SD card (read/write speed etc).

Yes, I think I did see somewhere that when the phone is restarted, it floats around 160MB of RAM and I am a heavy tweaker. On my Hero, I have installed Go Launcher Ex, Go SMS Pro, Go Locker, Go Bookmarks, Go Calendar, Go Task Manager (most of the Go tools) as well as TouchPal dialer and I keep floating around 30M constantly. If I install that on the Droid 3, I estimate additional 30MB so I'd be around 60MB and by the time I launch a web browser, market or a text editor....it will probably go down even further. Still my odds don't quote add up as the Hero does manage to run them all (but it's very slow).

I am still very interested about this phone but I will never forgive Moto for punishing us with 512MB only. There is a review on YouTube about the S2 and after a restart it has like 650+ I think. I will try to hold on to the Hero until...it truly pieces me off with its sluggish performance and then I will decide if I have to go with the Droid 3 or Galaxy S2 (which I hope will give me better precision with keyboards due to its large screen). I still hope I will be able to import the Glide somehow...

I read somewhere, these phones are locked only within the US and if we use it outside the US, it would be Ok (restriction free) so I can use a Telstra, Optus or Vodafone sim card...not sure if it's true though.

Also, if we put ICS to Droid 3, it will probably use even more RAM. Most of the RAM is probably taken by Motoblur and the Verizon bloatware (especially) anyway.... If we put a custom ROM, that would make things better.

You might wanna wait on this:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

OP
A

Androcop

Reaction score

Ahhhh, nice, thank you! I hope they release this in the next month or so. Now I have two good reasons to wait: the Droid 4 and the Sammy Captivate Glide! I hope they put 1GB RAM in that thing (the Droid 4)!! Goorola do you read me? 1GB please! I will rely on a particular promising online retailer in order for me to get this otherwise I will go as far as freight forwarding from the US and I will pick which ever comes first - Glide or Droid 4 (if it has 1GB of RAM).

Things I already I don't like about the Droid 4 but I will ignore them:

- According to the report, it will have a non removable battery
- What happened to the Alt key??? Why did they remove it?
- The keyboard letters are missing symbols! For instance the '\' is missing etc..The Droid 3 has this.

So Ok Goorola, listen up, if you want to win me, better release this thing ASAP or I *will* go with S2 (or if I am lucky enough with the Glide) if I have to and will continue to struglle without a keyboard!!

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score
Ahhhh, nice, thank you! I hope they release this in the next month or so. Now I have two good reasons to wait: the Droid 4 and the Sammy Captivate Glide! I hope they put 1GB RAM in that thing (the Droid 4)!! Goorola do you read me? 1GB please! I will rely on a particular promising online retailer in order for me to get this otherwise I will go as far as freight forwarding from the US and I will pick which ever comes first - Glide or Droid 4 (if it has 1GB of RAM).

Things I already I don't like about the Droid 4 but I will ignore them:

- According to the report, it will have a non removable battery
- What happened to the Alt key??? Why did they remove it?
- The keyboard letters are missing symbols! For instance the '\' is missing etc..The Droid 3 has this.

So Ok Goorola, listen up, if you want to win me, better release this thing ASAP or I *will* go with S2 (or if I am lucky enough with the Glide) if I have to and will continue to struglle without a keyboard!!

Actually, there is an Alt key, it's just been moved from where it was on the D3. It still has a dedicated "/" key, but the "\" key is likely accessed by pushing the now-dedicated symbol key, which has to be accessed by pushing Alt and the spacebar on the D3. Also considering the fact that the number keys a bigger and now have symbols that can be accessed by pushing Alt, I think it's a fair tradeoff.

As for the non-removable battery, I found a hands-on account that suggests otherwise in the op of this thread here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Droid-4-quot-Maserati-quot-Pre-Release-Thread

Keep in mind that this report was made almost a month ago.

It's likely that Googlerola (since Google's acquisition of Motorola is inevitable) will put 1 GB of RAM in the Droid 4 as they as they at least have to match the specs on the D3. It was speculated that the Droid 4 is nothing more than a Droid RAZR variant, which would mean that it will in fact have at least 1 GB of RAM. On the other hand, Droid 4 may or may not be called that, as far as we know it could be called the Droid 3 LTE or the Droid HD; this makes sense when you consider how last year the Droid 2 Global was released shortly after the Droid 2. When the Droid RAZR was in development it was called the Spyder and later the Droid HD, the latter which turned out to not be true as the Droid RAZR did not have a 1280 x 720p display. It was speculated on the thread in the link above that Droid 4 could actually be the Droid HD.

The phone looks to be pretty far in development in those pictures. I'd bet on a release before the end of this year due to the fact that Motorola had a slow start this year and wants to make up for lost ground to keep their stockholders happy.

Last edited:
OP
A

Androcop

Reaction score
On the other hand, Droid 4 may or may not be called that, as far as we know it could be called the Droid 3 LTE

Whatever it is called, I now want this phone! :) I want to use it for work. This would be awesome. I troubleshoot wireless routers and connection issues quite often (channel conflicts etc). It would be so awesome to be able to use this phone so I can enter SSIDs, pass phrases etc on the fly using its keyboard and I would have the wireless on my laptop connected to something else...Sure I can do all this with the Droid 3 but I also want to have fun with the phone hence for the need of 1GB. You see people that want to actually use their phones get phones with keyboards! Non keyboard phones are more like toys....(I mean no offense but my Hero is more like a toy to me, I have installed a lot of cool networking apps but I hardly ever use them as the soft keyboard frustrates me). I need to have access to telnet and be able to type and run commands etc....Can't wait now for this new Droid! :) Thx again for the link!

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score
You see people that want to actually use their phones get phones with keyboards! Non keyboard phones are more like toys....(I mean no offense but my Hero is more like a toy to me, I have installed a lot of cool networking apps but I hardly ever use them as the soft keyboard frustrates me). I need to have access to telnet and be able to type and run commands etc....

This.

I don't understand why it doesn't get said more often. I can't figure out how having an extra option, specifically a well-spaced feature-packed physical keyboard, gets continuously overlooked and thrown out of phone designs in favor of slimness. I mean how can you trade the convenience of a well-designed keyboard for a miniscule difference in size and bulk? Phones with 4.3+" screens hover around 5" tall and 3" thick; it isn't like they aren't taking up as much space as a slider phone in your pocket. When you type in a password on a site that doesn't allow you to what characters you type with a virtual keyboard it's easier to make mistake as compared to a physical keyboard. And is useless to try to type with both hands in landscape mode on an onscreen kb, they have Tab buttons and when you push them you have no way of telling what field you're in! With virtual kbs your grammar becomes self-styled resulting in people not taking you seriously.

akhi216

Reaction score
I'm now like 99% sure that the Droid 4 will have 1 GB of RAM. There are two sliders with 1 GB of RAM that are in development, the Samsung one and one from Dell. Motorola's not gonna just idly sit there and watch Samsung, and (certainly not) Dell show them up like that. The Droid 3 more or less was a stop gap solution that was seemingly intended to push the boundaries of slider phones a little.

OP
A

Androcop

Reaction score
one and one from Dell

Dell? Well that's news for me, I never knew about it. Either way, since a particular online shops sells the Droid 3 (Verizon branded) in Australia, it means that the new Droid 4 (or whatever it is called) will also work if successfully imported. I just hope they'll list it as part of their stock otherwise I am going with freight forwarding....One way or the other, I must get a high end Android slider phone.

Oh yes, I can feel your pain with entering passwords using the soft keyboards. Frustrating!! This is why I don't even bother with the Hero....

Last edited: