Droid 3 Changes ringtone/notifications randomly.

Chuck_U_Farley

Reaction score
Okay, I am not sure if this has been discussed before, I tried to search the forum but not impressed with the search function on forum.

So here is my problem, I assign ringtone/notifications to e-mail accounts, text messages, different contacts etc. Then the phone randomly changes the assigments to different tones etc. Sometimes it is after a reboot other times it is just disconnected from my computer.

2 questions

1. Anybody else have this problem and how did you solve it?

2. Is there way to save the profile so if it is lost again I can just load it and not have to reassign it every time?

Phone is Droid 3, 2 months old, stock loader and everything else non-rooted.

Any help would be great this is making me crazy.

doogald

Reaction score
I've noticed that while my phone is connected to the PC it will not play any of the ringtones that are on the SD card (and that makes sense, as the SD card is mounted on the computer and not on the phone until I unmount.) However, once the SD card is re-mounted to the phone, the custom ringtones go back into effect. (This also happens as the phone restarts - mounting the SD cards is one of the last steps of the booting process, so any new messages that come in before then sound with the default tones rather than my choices.) I rarely connect my phone to my PC, so that's not much of an issue for me. I also do not have any custom ringtones for contacts - just a custom general ringtone plus some custom notification tones for the system, calendar events, and gmail notifications.

OP
C

Chuck_U_Farley

Reaction score
My Issue is not when the phone is connected it is after I disconnect and the sd card is recognized and all systems are go! I thought it was the same thing so I also made sure all my ring tones are saved on the phone not on the SD card. I have to go into each setting and change it back again.

mikedyk43

Reaction score
My Issue is not when the phone is connected it is after I disconnect and the sd card is recognized and all systems are go! I thought it was the same thing so I also made sure all my ring tones are saved on the phone not on the SD card. I have to go into each setting and change it back again.

Is your phone rooted? The reason I ask is the phone has an internal SD and an external SD (if you put an external in). Both of these are dismounted when you plug in the USB and have the storage option selected. The only way for you to actually move sounds to the non-removeable storage is with a root file explorer (rooted phone). Having a sound set that is located on either of these SD cards will revert back to the default sound when that card is dismounted.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuck_U_Farley

Reaction score
No like I said in my first post the phone is 2 months old, bone stock non-rooted.

When I physically take out my sd card the ring tones are still there in astro or when I look at them through my PC. The issues is the phone is not reverting back to the ring tones when unplugged. Also this happens after a battery pull as well.

Thanks for any solutions this is making me crazy.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

doogald

Reaction score

Just to note that when I mention "SD card" I am talking about both a physical SD card and the internal storage on the phone. When you tether your phone and mount internal storage on your computer, it is also unmounted from the phone until you unmount from your computer and then change the USB mode to charge only, or unplug.

That said, each of my ringtones go back to defaults when I do untether, though, like I said, I don't have many custom ones. I should also note that I have my ringtones in a /ringtones folder on my SD card and notification tones on a /notifications folder (they may actually be on internal storage - I never remember.) Anyway, if yours aren't stored that way, you can try that. If they are, I can't think of anything.

Well, you could get an app like Setting Profiles, which can give you a one-touch method of resetting the default ringtone and system notification.

jaycbrf4

Reaction score
I had the same issue, Make sure you unmount the phone from the PC properly. Eject the SD from the PC using "Safely remove" and on the phone select charge only from the USB connect notification. Your ringtones will go right back to normal...

krazyace38

Reaction score
Okay, I am not sure if this has been discussed before, I tried to search the forum but not impressed with the search function on forum.

So here is my problem, I assign ringtone/notifications to e-mail accounts, text messages, different contacts etc. Then the phone randomly changes the assigments to different tones etc. Sometimes it is after a reboot other times it is just disconnected from my computer.

2 questions

1. Anybody else have this problem and how did you solve it?

2. Is there way to save the profile so if it is lost again I can just load it and not have to reassign it every time?

Phone is Droid 3, 2 months old, stock loader and everything else non-rooted.

Any help would be great this is making me crazy.

Answer to question one; i had the same problem when i got the phone i switched my sd card from the old phone to the new one, so when the problem started i called Motorola. The tech had me hooh up the phone to my pc and back up everything, do a factory data reset and format external sd card, then hook my phone to my pc and create my folders on the external sd card (ringtones, notifications). He told me to make sure i use all lower case letters when creating the folders. After creating the folders he had me to go to my backup on the pc and open the ringtones folder,copy all and then open ringtones folder in external sd card and paste them, then do the same for notifications. When finished with that he had me to copy all my other folders from backup (excluding ringtones & notifications) and paste them in external sd card. Disconnect from pc by using the safe disconnect down by the clock on pc desktop then reboot phone; everything worked like it suppose to. Answer to question two; there's an app in market called profile manager.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

Sal R.

Reaction score
The only issue I have is my ringtone not reverting after the sdcards are mounted. It always defaults back to the "unselected default" ringtone.

Whatever.