Droid 3 camera

Dri94

Reaction score
Is there any way to shorten the camera shutter speed ? Its extremely slow which makes it hard to take any type of pic besides scenery.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
My first inclination is to say "turn down the size of the pictures" but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do it on the Droid 3. Other camera apps have a setting to change: 1MP, 2MP, 3MP, etc. It looks to be impossible to change on the Droid 3, although one thing you can do is turn on the Widescreen option and at least the pix go from 8MP to 6MP.

So then, my other suggestion is to get another camera app. I don't know if there are any good free ones. You can try the free Vignette demo though. By default, it will only save pictures that are less than 1MP. At least you can see if the camera is any quicker with Vignette.

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Just a thought ... have you tried to use the flash fulltime? If the problem is camera shake then this might help. Camera Pro Zoom 5x is faster but, you can't get wide screen with that app. They have a trial version.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I'm not sure you diagnose the problem correctly by referring to shutter speed (as a purely technical matter, there is no shutter, but thats a distraction). When I take pictures there is a ton of lag between the button press and the actual picture taking. I doubt this is shutter speed since the pictures generally are well lit. I think there is expectation induced jitter on the part of the human involved.

From what I've read elsewhere, the camera app is one of the worst coded parts of Android. or perhaps its just the D3. Either way, it sucks. The only suckage greater than the camera app is the utility of other camera apps in the market.

OP
D

Dri94

Reaction score
Although i do apprieciate the help turning the camera to 1mp is an impractical solution. The quality would lack so much there would be no point in taking a picture... If its coding that makes it take so long to take the picture, then wouldnt there be a way to hack the camera to achieve better speeds?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
After thinking about this more I think the lag is caused by the auto focus.

mrailing

Reaction score
After thinking about this more I think the lag is caused by the auto focus.

You are correct it's the auto focus causing the lag. The lag is less in a brightly lit area, like outside on a sunny day.

For example, if you touch the screen to set the focus on an item, and then hit the shutter button, it will immediately take a photo (where the box is green). It's just not written well to auto focus quickly. But if you auto focus it first and then click the shutter, you will get an immediate photo.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dri94

Reaction score
You are correct it's the auto focus causing the lag. The lag is less in a brightly lit area, like outside on a sunny day.

For example, if you touch the screen to se the focus on an item, and then hit the shutter button, it will immediately take a photo (where the box is green). It's just not written well to auto focus quickly. But if you auto focus it first and then click the shutter, you will get an immediate photo.

your right... is the autofocus hardware or software ? if its hardware then it cant be fixed

mrailing

Reaction score
your right... is the autofocus hardware or software ? if its hardware then it cant be fixed

The auto focus is written by software from what I can tell on our device, so other camera software or an update could help it.

OP
D

Dri94

Reaction score
The auto focus is written by software from what I can tell on our device, so other camera software or an update could help it.

I know with symbian you could simply edit the camera files and flash your device and it would be fixed. Is there any way to do this with android?

technogeek00

Reaction score

The auto-focus is both hardware and software oriented. The software analyzes the image to determine if the scene is in focus and then the hardware moves the lenses to adjust the focus if the scene is determined to be out of focus. The latest update did seem to speed up auto-focus a little bit and fix the blue tint (thankfully), but there is still a lot of room for improvement as the lens can be seen to move across the focus region more than once in some cases and it even ends up picking incorrect focuses quite frequently. However if you can stop moving tap focus and shoot you should be able to get decent pictures quickly. I took this in a hall here while walking:
View attachment 41275
Had I paused it may have been clearer haha.

matt192004

Reaction score
has anyone noticed the problem with incorrect location of pics. I live in one city but yet when i use the camera location it says the pic is in another city i live in valley the location says west point georgia can this be fixed are is it a software issue? it seems like on this camera they fix one problem and 10 more are discovered.

technogeek00

Reaction score
has anyone noticed the problem with incorrect location of pics. I live in one city but yet when i use the camera location it says the pic is in another city i live in valley the location says west point georgia can this be fixed are is it a software issue? it seems like on this camera they fix one problem and 10 more are discovered.

Just tried and it gets the city (Seattle, WA) correct, but the exact location is off by about 30 miles which in many areas could be more or less the distance from another town. Strangely its the same location reported by the gps which is normally extremely accurate. I will try again when there is less cloud cover above me.

matt192004

Reaction score
ok could the location of tower affect camera geo settings? turned on gps stand alone and went into camera still got west point so i have no clue what to do for it hope the new droid 4 device improves camera in many ways.