Droid 3 Boot Loop - please help

gregm

Reaction score
My Droid keeps rebooting, it does the "Droid" sound and then goes back to that Red Droid symbol repeatedly.
I did the factory data reset following the Motorola's instructions. Power + X, up and down volume keys + wipe data/factory reset

Please help, I'm at a loss..

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
my wife has the same phone, a Motorola Droid 3 she successfully installed the OTA update this morning.. would it be possible for me to get it off of her phone and try installing it onto mine? If so, where is the file at?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What were you doing when it started happening?
Did you/Have you applied the OTA update?
Are you rooted? Were you rooted?
Did you freeze/delete any apps?
Did you install any mods/ROMs?

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
I had tried to install the OTA twice and failed.. I thought it was because I was rooted.
I loaded up Pete's Motorola Root Tools and did the Restore My /system/apps... everything was successful

SEARCHING FOR THE PHONE (connect it now if you haven't yet)... found!
Running fix step 1 of 4 (setting up symlink)... done!
Rebooting your phone... done!
Running fix step 2 of 4 (modifying local.prop)... done!
Rebooting your phone... done!
Running fix step 3 of 4 (unfreezing apps)... skip!
There weren't any frozen apps detected, skipping this step.
Running fix step 4 of 4 (restoring /system/app files)...

Restoring /system/app/ZumoCast_1.0.17.apk... done!
Continuing /system/app restore (permissions fix)... done!

Congratulations: your phone's /system/app/ has been restored!

When it rebooted is when the loop started... Thanks!

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Odd. Did you delete or rename ZumoCast?

I was rooted and the update took fine, just had to reroot.

You could try flashing the update I guess. It's in the cache folder, or you can grab it in another thread (or on droid-life.com) Not sure what that will do, though.

Sorry I'm not much more help.

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
Odd. Did you delete or rename ZumoCast?

I was rooted and the update took fine, just had to reroot.

You could try flashing the update I guess. It's in the cache folder, or you can grab it in another thread (or on droid-life.com) Not sure what that will do, though.

Sorry I'm not much more help.

No, I didn't delete anything.. I removed the Verizon apps from my phone. But that was days ago.
I can only get to my SD card (I pulled it out and put it in my computer), I don't see anything in the 2 cache folders there, other than some artwork.
I downloaded some copy of the update (I think it was the right one but it failed when I chose it from the Motorola boot screen.

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
did U restore the right system apps 5.959 or 6.890. well anyway can U get to fastboot

here is another link read n do as it says on my post. if U can get to fastboot:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/174407-i-think-i-bricked-my-d3.html

I don't even know what fastboot is so I know I don't have that installed.. All I did was root the phone..
I know I'm screwed.. Worst case scenario, do you guys think Motorola could fix it if I sent it in to them?

mrcastillo

Reaction score
I don't even know what fastboot is so I know I don't have that installed.. All I did was root the phone..
I know I'm screwed.. Worst case scenario, do you guys think Motorola could fix it if I sent it in to them?

did U go to the page i posted on the #6

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
did U go to the page i posted on the #6

Yeah, I've factory reset my phone several times and the first time it boots it gets farther than the reboots it does..
I thought you were referring to fastboot, and I don't know what that is

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
When applying the manual update I get:
assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/Gmail.apk", "long string of numbers and chars", "long string of different numbers and chars")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip

Reaction score
All is not lost. I had to deal with bootloop as well. Are you familiar with a program called rsdlite? I have version 5.5. It allows you to flash a factory fresh ..well.. everything on to your phone. So factory fresh, you gotta activate your phone again! I'm gonna need to find my files...
but in the meantime heres what i did
1.installed latest drivers, installed rsdlite, and downloaded the fastboot file for 5.6.890
2.power off phone
3.power on phone while holding up. This brings you to bp fastboot mode. On the screen it should say battery ok to program connect usb data cable.
4.plug in the usb cable. It should say usb connected. More on that later
5.in rsdlite, where it says '...' in a box, click that, look for your xml and press start. Let it do it's thing.
6. When the phones rebooting, right after it just turns off, press and hold x.
7. You'll see a droid and a triangle with an exclamation point. Or do you see the droid? I forgot. But that triangle is there.
8.press both volume keys at once. Wipe data, wipe cache partition. (Vol keys are up and down, power button selects)
9.reboot that sum*****

In my case, the usb cable didnt register on my phone. I had to run adb. Google up how to use adb. When i got there, i used the command 'adb devices' which didnt return anything on my computer. But it connected my usb!

I hope this helps... i'm just a forum lurker.. good luck!

edit: heres a link to everything you need from rootzwiki. credits all on that page.

Last edited:
OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm running RSDLite as I type.. it's been on Status 1/18 flash mbm "allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin" and result shows "In process..." for about 10 minutes
How long should it take?
All of my device properties are "N/A" will that make a difference?

I had my phone boxed and had submitted a RMA, this would be awesome it if works!

Reaction score
hmmm.. that's odd. it's usually a quick 5-10 min process for the whole thing... i'm sorry, i guess we're gonna have to wait for one of the big dogs to chime in :/... has anything happened since then?

OP
G

gregm

Reaction score
hmmm.. that's odd. it's usually a quick 5-10 min process for the whole thing... i'm sorry, i guess we're gonna have to wait for one of the big dogs to chime in :/... has anything happened since then?

I restarted it and bam! it worked! My phone activated successfully.. Man I can't tell you appreciative I am! I know you only posted a link but if you hadn't come Monday I would have mailed my phone and who knows what would have happened. Thanks to you, you've saved my phone!