Droid 3 battery concerns / charging question

reichbc

Reaction score
This one's for anyone, but would like to know if anyone with experience in battery charging methods is here...

Okay... the basics. Droid 3, Liberty 3 ROM, standard battery.

First, the charging question, as it may tie into the battery issue. I charge my Droid 3 with the standard USB cable it came with, but the adapters I use are 5V , 1Amp charging blocks. Is it bad that my battery can fully charge in just under an hour or two?

Also, I've noticed lately that my battery will be charging and it will either stop charging and indicate full at 99%, or it will reach 100%, indicate full, and then drop back down into the 90's somewhere while it's still plugged in. I'm a questionable one when it comes to battery life and health, so I did research and was informed that I should drain the battery to about 50%, then reset the battery stats in Clockwork. So I did, and now it reads that a full charge is 57%. ANy ideas on this one, gentlemen?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry I can't help you with the 57% issue (weird, huh?) -- but do be wary of advice about draining to a particular level. I'm far from knowledgeable but had the general impression that li-ion batteries don't mind the routine top-off trickle-charge.

On a more relevant note: I *can* say for sure I've had problems with non-OEM USB power adapters. One symptom is the touch interface is super wonky while charging, which I take to be an artifact of power input issues. Another problem is "mysterious" rapid draining on random days. So try if possible to stick with the stock adapter. I've made to use only Motorola's and it's been smooth sailing.

-Matt

mikedyk43

Reaction score
This one's for anyone, but would like to know if anyone with experience in battery charging methods is here...

Okay... the basics. Droid 3, Liberty 3 ROM, standard battery.

First, the charging question, as it may tie into the battery issue. I charge my Droid 3 with the standard USB cable it came with, but the adapters I use are 5V , 1Amp charging blocks. Is it bad that my battery can fully charge in just under an hour or two?

Also, I've noticed lately that my battery will be charging and it will either stop charging and indicate full at 99%, or it will reach 100%, indicate full, and then drop back down into the 90's somewhere while it's still plugged in. I'm a questionable one when it comes to battery life and health, so I did research and was informed that I should drain the battery to about 50%, then reset the battery stats in Clockwork. So I did, and now it reads that a full charge is 57%. ANy ideas on this one, gentlemen?

If you want accurate battery stats, then you need to reset the stats in CWM when it is at full charge (100%). Then you use the phone until it the battery drains all the way until shutdown. You are getting weird readings because you set the battery starting point somewhere in the 50% range. Do as I mentioned and you will see improved battery stats for sure. Remember that after a full charge, followed by a battery stat reset, don't let it touch a charger until AFTER it shuts itself down (DEAD BATTERY).