Droid 2 System 2.3.20 Update....

jskrieg04

Reaction score
I currently run on the system version 2.2.20. I'm rooted, deodexed, and have the Black Glass theme installed on my phone. I absolutely love my black glass theme and don't want to give it up.

Now I'm being prompted every 12 hours to install the 2.3.20 update. I really don't want to upgrade to it because I don't want to lose root access, though that would be easy enough to get back. I have some general questions as to what would be the best route for me to take with the end result being me still having my Black Glass Theme and no longer being reminded to install the update.

1.) If I install the update, will anything happen to my phone in a negative way? Like I said, I'm rooted, deodexed, running a custom theme, and have actually removed a couple of apps that came on the phone. I don't want to install the update if it's going to brick my phone, obviously.

2.) Is there a way to just get the phone to stop reminding me to install the update? I have no problems running on 2.2.20 (other than I wish my battery life would improve), and if there's a way to just ignore the update then that would be a viable option.

3.) Let's say I want to go ahead and do the update. Should I flash back to stock 2.2.20 (rooted stock that is) before I install the update? Is it safe to just update OTA from the state my phone is currently in? And, am I correct in assuming that my theme will no longer be on the phone after the update?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I currently run on the system version 2.2.20. I'm rooted, deodexed, and have the Black Glass theme installed on my phone. I absolutely love my black glass theme and don't want to give it up.

Now I'm being prompted every 12 hours to install the 2.3.20 update. I really don't want to upgrade to it because I don't want to lose root access, though that would be easy enough to get back. I have some general questions as to what would be the best route for me to take with the end result being me still having my Black Glass Theme and no longer being reminded to install the update.

1.) If I install the update, will anything happen to my phone in a negative way? Like I said, I'm rooted, deodexed, running a custom theme, and have actually removed a couple of apps that came on the phone. I don't want to install the update if it's going to brick my phone, obviously.

2.) Is there a way to just get the phone to stop reminding me to install the update? I have no problems running on 2.2.20 (other than I wish my battery life would improve), and if there's a way to just ignore the update then that would be a viable option.

3.) Let's say I want to go ahead and do the update. Should I flash back to stock 2.2.20 (rooted stock that is) before I install the update? Is it safe to just update OTA from the state my phone is currently in? And, am I correct in assuming that my theme will no longer be on the phone after the update?

install the rooted 2.3.20 ota from here:

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

and you will be updated, rooted, and will not be bugged any more. Make sure you wipe data and cache.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Reinstall your stock backup then accept the update. Then make a new stock backup.

Re- root your phone and load the black glass theme...

This way you will have a fresh stock backup.

jskrieg04

Reaction score
Reinstall your stock backup then accept the update. Then make a new stock backup.

If I go back to my stock backup and update, won't I lose root, making it impossible to do a backup until I re-root? Not that it really matters, I'm just confused as you said make a new stock back-up then re-root.

jskrieg04

Reaction score

install the rooted 2.3.20 ota from here:

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

and you will be updated, rooted, and will not be bugged any more. Make sure you wipe data and cache.

Will I lose my Black Glass them by doing this?

trook

Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure you will lose your theme, but you can always make a nandroid after you install the hacked update, then run the update and try to reinstall the theme, then if something goes wrong you can nandroid back.

trook

Reaction score

If I go back to my stock backup and update, won't I lose root, making it impossible to do a backup until I re-root? Not that it really matters, I'm just confused as you said make a new stock back-up then re-root.
Yes, if you go to your stock backup, then apply your update from verizon itself and NOT use the hacked one, you WILL lose root and you will not be able to root again unless you sbf. You have to be rooted to make a nandroid backup so that means your nandroid will have root, unless you remove root from that backup, when you install the update you will lose superuser permissions, you will not be able to root again because superuser will already be installed (non working though), and you will have no way of removing it as you are not rooted.... Install the hacked version that pc747 posted to you. Its your best bet besides sbf'ing then rerooting. Also, once you apply the new 2.30.2 however you decide to do it, all of your previous backups will be worthless.

MrKleen

Reaction score

If I go back to my stock backup and update, won't I lose root, making it impossible to do a backup until I re-root? Not that it really matters, I'm just confused as ryou said make a new stock back-up then re-root.
Yes, if you go to your stock backup, then apply your update from verizon itself and NOT use the hacked one, you WILL lose root and you will not be able to root again unless you sbf. You have to be rooted to make a nandroid backup so that means your nandroid will have root, unless you remove root from that backup, when you install the update you will lose superuser permissions, you will not be able to root again because superuser will already be installed (non working though), and you will have no way of removing it as you are not rooted.... Install the hacked version that pc747 posted to you. Its your best bet besides sbf'ing then rerooting. Also, once you apply the new 2.30.2 however you decide to do it, all of your previous backups will be worthless.

Not true. You can root after the update...and not have to sbf. Where the heck did you get that idea? I rooted after I did what I recommended. I personally like to have a stock backup of the latest update. You can do it the way you said if you are not interested in having a backup. But don't scare people by giving inaccurate info.

P.S. yes you have to be rooted to do a backup. I didn't give a step by step... I believe people know this stuff but it seems there is much confusion.

Last edited:

jskrieg04

Reaction score
If I go back to my stock backup and update, won't I lose root, making it impossible to do a backup until I re-root? Not that it really matters, I'm just confused as ryou said make a new stock back-up then re-root.

Not true. You can root after the update...and not have to sbf. Where the heck did you get that idea? I rooted after I did what I recommended. I personally like to have a stock backup of the latest update. You can do it the way you said if you are not interested in having a backup. But don't scare people by giving inaccurate info.

Just so I'm clear. You re-root the phone, THEN make a backup of the stock rom?

MrKleen

Reaction score
Yes, or you can use the hacked version they were talking about if you don't care.

trook

Reaction score
what I said, or actually what I thought I said was if you update WHILE rooted, it then becomes impossible to reroot as your phone still has busybox and superuser (non working) of course, but unable to unroot as you no longer have su permissions needed to remove superuser and busy box. I speak from experience not guesswork. I just so happened to recieve the ota on 11-8-10, my phone decided to download it, I did not have su permissions but the files were still present. Everybody else that has had this problem has had to sbf, if you plan on rerooting after recieving the official verizon ota update.....please remove superuser and busybox first.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
what I said, or actually what I thought I said was if you update WHILE rooted, it then becomes impossible to reroot as your phone still has busybox and superuser (non working) of course, but unable to unroot as you no longer have su permissions needed to remove superuser and busy box. I speak from experience not guesswork. I just so happened to recieve the ota on 11-8-10, my phone decided to download it, I did not have su permissions but the files were still present. Everybody else that has had this problem has had to sbf, if you plan on rerooting after recieving the official verizon ota update.....remove superuser and busybox first.

I must be the exception to your rule then... lol. I really don't care to spend much more time beating my head against a wall...

But... by installing it from my rooted stock it took away my root. I simply rerooted, made a backup and carried on. I am all for whatever makes people happy so do whatever does that for you.

I also speak from experience ... not guesswork. If you would like me to show you how to do it I will.

trook

Reaction score
That would actually be great if you would tell me whats up so I don't have to go through all I went through like the last ota. Because for some reason, my su was still there with no way of ditching it. Plus with the rumors of the 2.2.1 update I'm just thinking oh great...again?

Last edited:

jskrieg04

Reaction score
I was going to install the rooted update manually, but I royally messed up. I went into Clockwork Recovery, formated the system, and then re-booted the phone without installing another update.zip. Needless to say, my phone is bricked. It turns on to the Motorola screen but gets no further.

I need to do an SBF back to the stock rom, but I'm not 100% sure how to do it or what rom I need to go back to. Since I was running 2.2.20 before the brick, do I need to go back to 2.2.20? Or can I go straight to 2.3.20? And do I do the entire SBF, or just the SBF system files?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Go ahead and do the sbf from 2.3.20. It'll save you trobule, then just reload your rom and be done.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App