Droid 2 or Droid 2 Global?

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already, but my wife recently got the D2 and now I see that VZW is no longer carrying new D2s only certified pre-owned. She is thinking of exchanging it for the D2G, and I was wondering if there would be any benefits to doing this and if so what are the pros and cons?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Does she need a world phone?

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
D2 global has 1.2 ghz chip

OP
dirtyfingers

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
No not really we don't go overseas very often, it will almost always be used in the US. Does the extra processor power really help or just drain the battery faster?

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Become international person of mystery make friends overseas with social apps but then again you have skype

OP
dirtyfingers

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
How is the reception in the US compared to the D2?

treraypop

Reaction score
aside from the faster processor thats is, and that it comes in white. mind you if your past thirty days from the purchase date you cant exchange it and if your not past thirty days and do in fact exchange it, theres a 35 dollar restock fee just to keep in mind

OP
dirtyfingers

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
It will be 30 days on Jan. 1. Im willing to pay $35 if the phone is that much better, but im just not sure.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already, but my wife recently got the D2 and now I see that VZW is no longer carrying new D2s only certified pre-owned. She is thinking of exchanging it for the D2G, and I was wondering if there would be any benefits to doing this and if so what are the pros and cons?

If you can exchange it definitely do. All the motorola devices now have a locked bootloader. This means custom roms do not exist, only modified motorola roms exist. So once motorola stops updating, you are done getting os upgrades. The droid 2 global will likely be supported longer than the droid 2.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

treraypop

Reaction score
thats not necessarily true, however your right support will continue on w d2g more so rather d2 considering d2 is being done away with so that is something to consider. but like how good have the stock updates really been? not so hot considering lots of people have complained about 2.2 on d1

Benton

Reaction score
I have both D2 and D2G and only notice one main difference for use in the US, the D2 seems to get better battery life. Keep in mind this is only a subjective observation since usage of phone and apps vary day to day and therefore phone to phone. My wife and I travel overseas and GSM is a part of our lives too so the Global feature of the D2G does provide us a benefit. The balance of functionality between phones seems identical. If my experience is correct and you are not leaving the US often, I would much rather have a longer battery life over a possible future OS enhancement like 2.3 to 2.3.1. My two cents...

OP
dirtyfingers

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Battery life seems to be more important to her since she is not very tech saavy and her main use for the phone is facebook (besides actually making phone calls or texts). So the D2 will get gingerbread whenever it gets released?

Benton

Reaction score
Speculation at best but I would say yes, I believe Moto and VZW will support DX, D2 and D2G to 2.3 and would not be surprised to see D1 get it too.

K20turbo

Reaction score

If your not past 30 days it is worth the $35 restocking fees that they are charging I would fight it and try to get it free.
PROS:
Like everyone else says, 1.2 ghz processor. It's slighty thinner excluding the bump for camera. You can chose between the georgous white (actually looks pearl white) or sapphire. Global capabilities, even better when unlocked since you can use with any carier globally (NON US). Not that it's important to most, but the extra feature won't hurt. Im probably out of US once a year, Ill be happy to keep in mind that I can use my phone globally unlocked with other cariers when I do travel. I would never use the overpriced rates verizon is charging however if I have no choice my sim is still intact ready to activate when needed.
Cons:
Battery life, its horrible, but well worth it for me since im on the phone 24/7 for work/personal needs. So the extra speed helps a lot. I dont know if its an overclocked version of the d2 or a completely new chip, but its slightly faster. I havent compared to the regular d2, but comparing with the d1 it is night and day difference.

Its a better investment than the regular d2 however is battery life is a major concern, then stick with the d2 it will be a noticable difference and your wife will definitely be upset with the battery life on the d2g unless she's strictly using the phone lightly.

Honestly the d2g lasts me half the day since my hours are 5-12 I will need a recharge by then. This is with everything on, and I mean everything with constant usage.

Last edited:
OP
dirtyfingers

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all of your answers, this is the first time I have ever posted in a forum and had no idea it was this helpful! I think well have to go to vzw tomorrow and get the d2g