Droid 2 Global, what to do with it.

Aversion

Reaction score
I am currently flashed back to stock, Version 2.4.29

Should I system update my phone? Install some ROM?

I am looking for peek performance, over clocking, good battery life and speed.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Best battery life is currently only reachable with stock 4.5.607 Gingerbread update. I get 28 hours with 3G, WiFi, and sync on, and occasional (up to 1.5h of display powered on) usage.

People might advertise Cyanogenmod7 as much as they want but I never saw my phone pull even 18 hours on CM7.

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
How do I go about getting gingerbread update? Was it pulled?

Edit: And all I have done so far is root my phone with z4 Root and install the bootstrap.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
To upgrade to 4.5.607 you need to be on stock 2.4.330, without the bootstrap, and unrooted.

You can fetch the update file from RootzWiki, for example. See Gingerbread leak - D2G Updated to 4.5.607!Considering manual installation, refer to 4.5.607 Firmware - The DROID Wiki, for example. I tried to make it short and easy to understand.

In case you fail to uninstall the bootstrap hijack and unroot properly (the update won't install), you might need to SBF; read about it @ http://droid.koumakan.jp/wiki/SBF — note that you should make a Nandroid backup of your current system using ClockworkMod recovery (you can find some information on it on that same wiki); then after updating to 4.5.607 you can root, install bootstrap, and use CWM's Advanced restore feature to restore only your /data partition which will result in all your apps and settings from 2.4.x being restored in 4.5.607 without any issues (at least I had none).

leobg

Reaction score
Here is a good reason for going 4.5.607:
screenshot_14.png
That's with light to moderate use.

And here is with very light use:
screenshot_15.png

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
Ok I unrooted and removed the bootstrap. So I boot my phone into recovery (stock) and install the zip?

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
Okay I have successfully put Gingerbread (leaked) onto my phone.

How do I root? Z4 doesn't seem to work

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Since you seem to be bent on using an exploit that was only made for Froyo (z4root), I cannot help you.

Otherwise, you could try Droid 3 one-click root.

Saosinx

Reaction score
If one click doesn't work, keep trying. It takes some people multiple times for it to work. when I went to GB, I just sbfed then installed the 2 part pre rooted GB leak.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
If one click doesn't work, keep trying. It takes some people multiple times for it to work. when I went to GB, I just sbfed then installed the 2 part pre rooted GB leak.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Thanks it worked first try. I installed the root, bootstrap and Titanium Backup. What stuff is okay to freeze? Seems as if there is massive more services and stuff on GB

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
I just recieved a new phone from Verizon (another droid 2 global) on .330 ..

Its not rooted or anything; I downloaded the GB leak and renamed it to update.zip put it on my sd card but cant install it.

In stock recovery it says ''signature not valid'' or something like that.. What do I do?

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
Redownloaded from that link and it still aborts saying ''signature verification failed''

leobg

Reaction score
You don't extract it or anything - just change the name - right?