Droid 2 Global custom roms?

zwisslerd

Reaction score
I have fission on my phone right now, I love it, but I want to explore my choices. Are there many other roms for D2G? If so what are they? Would appreciate the help.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL on Fission 2.4.3 using DroidForums App

mreyn3693

Reaction score
As of right now, what you are using is all that is available other than using the d2g romer tool, in which case you could install several D2 Custom ROMS to your d2g. The main issue with doing that is you will either have to disable your sensors or deal with the phone rebooting whenever it sleeps. And also no sensors.

I was running liberty 1.5 on my d2g for a couple of weeks and liked it. I am currently back to Fission awaiting an update or a new custom ROM from team get r done.

OP
Z

zwisslerd

Reaction score
Okay, I have been trying to keep up with what is going on with fission and Angdroid. Any news about new updates or anything coming out soon?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL on Fission 2.4.3 using DroidForums App

mreyn3693

Reaction score
The only new thing on his twitter in weeks was today I think when he released a beta honeycomb theme for the D2. Then he said be back later with more news.

damon928

Reaction score
GPS & WiFi support w/ custom ROMs?

I'm a newb to this but was able to install and try out Liberty and Fission (with the romer6 update) and I received an "Error" for my WiFi which left it useless (in Fission). I also was not able to activate GPS in either ROM. Does anybody know if there are known issues with wifi and GPS with Droid 2 Global?

It appears that there are really no good ROMs for the global right now, unless I need to play with them more. Thanks, these forums are great.

Asphyx

Reaction score
I'm guessing you did the liberty/romer and then went back to Fission.

I don't think that works and if I'm not mistaken you will have to SBF unless you have a full system backup of Fission to restore via clockword recovery.

damon928

Reaction score
I did do the liberty/romer and then fission. I had to use my backup from cwmod to get things working. I should probably ask this somewhere else but ...

How can i change the initial splash screen back to the Motorola" M"? or change it to something else?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
jrummy released an app for that on the market or...the hard way... reflash liberty, then go to liberty toolbox and flash the "m" boot logo.

Edit: Asphyx is right (see next post), Fission Rom Manager should do it.

Last edited:

Asphyx

Reaction score
I did do the liberty/romer and then fission. I had to use my backup from cwmod to get things working. I should probably ask this somewhere else but ...

How can i change the initial splash screen back to the Motorola" M"? or change it to something else?

Yep the Nandroid backup should work. But just flashing Fission over the Libery/Romer as I understand it will not.

Glad you got it back up.

As for the logo I'm surprised the Nandroid didn't restore that but it should be relatively easy to fix.

You could also try flashing one of the boot anims from FRM it might do it as well.

moreyos

Reaction score

Yep the Nandroid backup should work. But just flashing Fission over the Libery/Romer as I understand it will not.

Glad you got it back up.

As for the logo I'm surprised the Nandroid didn't restore that but it should be relatively easy to fix.

You could also try flashing one of the boot anims from FRM it might do it as well.

I just transferred Liberty 1.5 and Romer v7 to my phone. I was about to flash it until I saw somebody say something about having to SBF if going with Liberty/Romer.

What I gathered from reading but I hope I am right before I do this I'm just looking for confirmation...if I have a backup saved on my phone with Clockwork Recovery, I can save my current backup (Fission but I also have a backup from stock) and then install Liberty/Romer. Then if I want to go back to Fission/stock I just use the backups I have saved on my SD card?

Only if I were to try and flash Liberty/Romer without having a backup I would be screwed, correct? Thanks for letting me know.

leobg

Reaction score
Getting out of Liberty/Romer requires going thru stock (flashing SBF) for clean base. Since Fission is a patch on old stock rom (2.4.29), to avoid issues due to wrong kernel and radio image, flash full stock SBF before you restore your backup. I know it is time consuming but is trouble saving.

Another advice - since you are going to Romer7 (2.4.330 base), you better go stock, install OTA 2.4.330 and then apply Liberty and Romer (GRD guys will advice if that's unnecessary - not sure if Romer flashes radio and kernel images from 2.4.330).

moreyos

Reaction score
Getting out of Liberty/Romer requires going thru stock (flashing SBF) for clean base. Since Fission is a patch on old stock rom (2.4.29), to avoid issues due to wrong kernel and radio image, flash full stock SBF before you restore your backup. I know it is time consuming but is trouble saving.

Another advice - since you are going to Romer7 (2.4.330 base), you better go stock, install OTA 2.4.330 and then apply Liberty and Romer (GRD guys will advice if that's unnecessary - not sure if Romer flashes radio and kernel images from 2.4.330).

So I'd be better off just going back to my stock rom? My main concern with my D2G is the battery life and that is the only reason I rooted...then that didn't help with the battery so I flashed with Fission. Battery hasn't increased. And while I know Liberty and Romer still have their problems I would only do it for an increase in battery. If you say my battery won't increase by much, if at all, then I will completely scrap this idea right now. I love the phone but the battery life kills me...

leobg

Reaction score
Custom roms are not native custom roms (build from source), at least most important things like kernel and drivers are left unmodified due to bootloader signing.
If you hate BLUR and you want AOSP like (note the like) experience - you can go with one of these ROM's. Fission - the first and oldest one is based on the stock 2.4.29 firmware (the kernel and drivers and the framework) which is less optimized compared to newer Dec 2010 update (2.4.330). One of the improvements Motorola anounced about 2.4.330 is battery life and (at least for me) it did improve rather noticeably. Since Fission is abandoned now you better look at one of the other offerings as they are supposedly using better power optimized 2.4.330 as base.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
And while I know Liberty and Romer still have their problems I would only do it for an increase in battery.

Its not perfect but it is stable imo.

As for battery life I think you will see an increase in battery life on Liberty.

Killerhimsa

Reaction score
Fenuxx just released a custom Rom for D2G called fenom. It's still in beta mode but it is very stable, most if not all bugs have been fixed. I've had it for a few days now and coming from fission I have to say it's very smooooth :)
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums