Droid 2 Freezes Up

Bruce Heyman

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago my Droid 2 started freezing up every now an again. I can go whole days where it works fine but there are days where i don't even put the battery cover back on because i have to remove the battery to get the phone back.
when it is frozen up it will not accept inputs through the screen or the key board. I can still place calls by using the voice recognition. I can also still receive calls but i have to accept the call with the blue tooth.

Sometimes when i reset the phone (via battery removal) it still comes back frozen up.

Also some times it will draw either an all white or all black screen with the notifications along the top. The notifications sometimes will work and sometimes not.

There has been no drops and no water damage to the phone.

Any ideas? I did remove all the apps that i installed back to about a month ago.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago my Droid 2 started freezing up every now an again. I can go whole days where it works fine but there are days where i don't even put the battery cover back on because i have to remove the battery to get the phone back.
when it is frozen up it will not accept inputs through the screen or the key board. I can still place calls by using the voice recognition. I can also still receive calls but i have to accept the call with the blue tooth.

Sometimes when i reset the phone (via battery removal) it still comes back frozen up.

Also some times it will draw either an all white or all black screen with the notifications along the top. The notifications sometimes will work and sometimes not.

Any ideas? I did remove all the apps that i installed back to about a month ago.

OK, first if you have task killer or Antivirus uninstall that. If you've already done that or you don't have it installed your next step is to go to settings/privacy/factory data reset.

All your apps will return, so make sure you remove task killer of antivirus before doing this. Your phone should be fine. If it still freezes up then you probably have a bad Droid and need to exchange it for another one.

Droid621

Reaction score
OK, first if you have task killer or Antivirus uninstall that. If you've already done that or you don't have it installed your next step is to go to settings/privacy/factory data reset.

All your apps will return, so make sure you remove task killer of antivirus before doing this. Your phone should be fine. If it still freezes up then you probably have a bad Droid and need to exchange it for another one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Once again these forums saved my hind end...

I had been experiencing similar episodes over the past few weeks... finally had time to research what is going on and what to do...

zero7404

Reaction score
why is a factory reset always suggested as the course of action to try and fix a problem on this phone ?

putting aside crappy apps like task killer and others, the OS should not get corrupted or hung up on something, even with several apps installed on the device. if the OS cannot do a clean job of installing/uninstalling, and it leaves behind artifacts that cause freezing and hang ups and other erratic behavior, then Android's next move would be to improve the OS in that department ....

i've had the music player freeze on me more than once a day while listening to music. as far as i am aware i do not have any task killers installed, nor do i have any other questionable apps that would result in instability of my phone. so what's causing this .... we don't know. unless there is a linux guru around that can interpret the output of the syslog (which i can provide), i don't see someone coming forth with a solution other than to say reset the phone and cross your fingers.

louy99

Reaction score
overclocking your rooted phones too high will cause problems too. you can press the alt/shift/delete button to reboot instead of pulling the battery.

mindytyson3

Reaction score

All your apps will return, so make sure you remove task killer of antivirus before doing this. Your phone should be fine. If it still freezes up then you probably have a bad Droid and need to exchange it for another one.

hello i am doing the factory reset on my phone now. gosh i hope everything will still be there as my apps anyways. will my contacts still be there? thanks.

mindytyson3

Reaction score
its been a couple of days and everything is going fine so far..knock on wood..hehe. every app came back except for a few but i remembered which ones so i just downloaded them again. well i will keep everyone updated. if it messes up again i will let everyone know.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
why is a factory reset always suggested as the course of action to try and fix a problem on this phone ?

putting aside crappy apps like task killer and others, the OS should not get corrupted or hung up on something, even with several apps installed on the device. if the OS cannot do a clean job of installing/uninstalling, and it leaves behind artifacts that cause freezing and hang ups and other erratic behavior, then Android's next move would be to improve the OS in that department ....

i've had the music player freeze on me more than once a day while listening to music. as far as i am aware i do not have any task killers installed, nor do i have any other questionable apps that would result in instability of my phone. so what's causing this .... we don't know. unless there is a linux guru around that can interpret the output of the syslog (which i can provide), i don't see someone coming forth with a solution other than to say reset the phone and cross your fingers.

It shouldn't. But stuff happens, and I know from experience that this will fix it. That's why I recommend it. I see two people in this thread who found it solved their issue. It cleans everything up everything like brand new.

And it's not cross your fingers, if it doesn't work then you have a problem with the phone. It needs to be replaced.

Taegost

Reaction score

It shouldn't. But stuff happens, and I know from experience that this will fix it. That's why I recommend it. I see two people in this thread who found it solved their issue. It cleans everything up everything like brand new.

And it's not cross your fingers, if it doesn't work then you have a problem with the phone. It needs to be replaced.

Not necessarily, a few errant apps can cause that too... Like the Mario Live Wallpaper (THe one that came out last year but never got updated) every now and then will suck up all the CPU cycles and cause the exact issues the person above is experiencing... I had to install Watchdog to find out which app it was, but I knew it was a bad app at that point. Once I stopped using it, then the phone has been fine.