Droid 2 Compatibility with Hyundai Sonata Turbo

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo after owing an Infiniti. One of the attractions was the Bluetooth phone system. Unfortunately, I have a problem that has yet to be solved by Hyundai or Verizon Wireless, my Droid 2 phone service provider.

I can make and receive phone calls just fine but I cannot make the Sonata store any phone numbers from my phone resident address book. Even when I manually load a contact into the Sonata system it does not recognize it when I try and utilize it.

Has anyone had similar problems? Hyundai says it's a Verizon problem and, of course, Verizon says it's a Hyundai problem.

I can use some help solving this one.

chipell

Reaction score
Yes, I have the same problem, I have a 2011 Sonata Turbo Limited. But, when I hit the phone button and it asks "by name", and I say the name, it will find it. The only problem is, is that the Sonata reverses the name. So try that out: instead of joe smith, say smith, joe. It is due to an incompatability between the bluetooth stack of the Hyundai and the phone.

Reaction score
I don't want to be dense, but just to be perfectly clear, how are you manually entering a contact into the Sonata? Does your car by chance have a USB or SD card input? Would it accept all of your contacts in a .CSV file? Your google account can produce one for you, and you could load it into the car. I've seen people do this as a workaround on various forums.

chipell

Reaction score
I followed a thread from the Hyundai Sonata Turbo forum. You definitely will see a small alert come up on the phone when you do this and turn the radio on. Press it and it will ask if you want to permanently allow access to your contact list by the Sonata. Check yes, and you're all set.

I did this last night and it worked. Interestingly, if you ask the car for phonebook, it will say it's empty, but it's really not. Just remember, when you place a call by name it will be last name first.

Here it the post from the Hyundai forum:

I got a droid 1 running 2.2 and it works fine...

I had issues at first but after getting this install from someone here it all has worked fine since.

You may want to try redoing the connection...

First i removed all my paired devices from my phone, and Sonata .

So in your droid to settings > wireless and network settings > bluetooth settings and hold down on your paired devices. a window will pop up where you can remove them.

- next i set my phone to discover mode and tuned on my radio

- on the radio i went to setup > BT > i think it was pair device, already forgot but you have to get to that part with the 0000 that display.

- the sonata could see my phone and said connected but the phone book did not download.

- Next i turned off the bluetooth on my phone and turned it back on

- then turned off the radio and turned it back on. when i did that my phone displayed a message saying is it ok for sonata to always access my call history and phone book. i said always allow and that was it.

It may or may not upload your contacts at that time.

It was actually two days later before the sonata uploaded my contacts... Now it checks every now and then and reloads the contacts in case you have made any changes....

I can't figure out any pattern as to when it does that, it just happens now and then.......

Hope this works for ya....