Droid 2.1 Picture Gallery app for the DX

xious

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm coming from the Droid 1 and now have a Droid X. The one thing that I cannot understand is that Motorola trashed the new gallery app for their non-graphical, ugly, boring Gallery app that doesn't even sync to Picasa. So, I decided to share this app with all the new DX users.

This was actually posted by 928Droid earlier in the year, but it works great on the Droid X. So I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it with all of you.

** Gallery3D.apk **

In order to install it, follow these directions:

- First download the .apk file to your Droid X (either by downloading it through your phone's browser or transferring it to the sdcard).

- Then, go into Settings > Applications and check the box next to Unknown Sources at the top.

- Once you've done that, go back to home, click on the App Drawer and choose Files (or Astro or any file manager that you've downloaded). Browse to where you put the .apk file. If you are using Files, choose Phone Files, and either open the download folder (if you downloaded it through your phone's browser) or find where you put the file on your sdcard.

- Click on the Gallery3DMT.zip file. If you are using Files, it will ask you to extract the files into the current folder. Choose Yes and it will create a Gallery3DMT folder. Choose that folder and click on the Gallery3DMT.apk file.

- It will ask you to install the file, so go ahead and choose Install. Once it's installed, click Open and you are good to go.

It may require you to grant access to your Picasa albums. Hit the home button and if you see a triangle in your notification bar (up top), bring the bar down and click on the triangle. Then grant the application access to your albums. Now, open the Gallery application back up and you should see your Picasa albums start to appear.

If you have a lot of different albums on your Picasa (as I do), then it may take awhile for it to detect them all. Sometimes I would have to move the screen back and forth for it to continue to download all my albums.

It really is a much better application than the one that comes with the DX. One issue I did see is that the camera button in the Gallery3D app does not actually work correctly. It just sends you straight back to the gallery.

X

beepbloop

Reaction score
thanks for the link, really unsure why they replaced the old gallery with something so intensely bland!

ShadowDroid

Reaction score
does anyone have screen shots of what the new gallery 3d looks like compared to the one we have on the droid x now...I am tempted but unsure the differences.....?

beepbloop

Reaction score
it's the same one that runs on the original droid, and there's no harm in trying it out since it runs along side the original gallery and you can uninstall it easily

hacku

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys are not aware of this on the DX, but on the stock gallery if you flip the phone to landscape mode it gives you a really nice effect.

OP
X

xious

Reaction score
I don't have a screenshot of the DX gallery for comparison, but I'm sure you all have looked at it. But here's a screenshot of the Gallery3D:

Nexus-One-Gallery.jpg

I has a cool "3D" effect (hence the name) that corresponds to how you're holding the phone. The background also changes based on what album thumbnail is in the middle of the screen. Trust me, you will like this gallery much better than the stock DX one. And as beepbloop stated, if you don't like it, then you can always uninstall it.

X

mastervader

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

The gallery included on the DX does not let you select multiple pictures to delete. The 3D gallery app works perfect!

dwd3885

Reaction score
the stock gallery app on the X is crap. 3D gallery is much better. I like the HTC Sense gallery the best because it integrates facebook, but I don't think we can get that gallery on here can we?

dfitz

Reaction score
Thanks so much, coming from the Droid, I missed this app as well. Glad to find this when I searched.