Droid 1 vs Droid 2

weasleman

Reaction score
I currently own a OD and have been flashing ROMs etc and really enjoying it. My buddy who currently owns a Droid 2 is upgrading to a HTC Thunderbolt and said he would give me the Droid 2. My question is should I take it or keep the OD. Can I flash on the Droid 2 just like the OD. Any advice would be great.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Don't look a gift horse in the face. Take the Droid 2 and 1 gig processor is not bad at all. OG Droid has 512 mb. It's not fully unlocked bootloader wise, but I believe it will be soon.

Droid 2 is better hardware.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you will always have more freedom on the og but if he's just giving the droid 2 to you then why not take it

OP
W

weasleman

Reaction score
it is part of a deal. I am buying something else and he will sell the droid 2 for $25. If I switch to the Droid 2 if something goes wrong with it will VZW give me another Droid 2?

knivesout

Reaction score
It's up to Verizon. I had an issue with the camera refusing to focus on my D2 that I bought from a friend, took into Verizon and the guy said since I didn't buy it directly from Verizon it wasn't technically under warranty but he made an "exception" and had a replacement sent. So it's kind of at their discretion..

As far as replacing your phone with the D2, yes, the D2 has a faster processor but a (forever) locked bootloader. If you're into customizing your phone I would stick with the D1. The D2 is nice, but when I saw the things people were doing with fully unlocked devices and the huge dev communities it made me not quite as keen on the D2. Ended up buying an Incredible and I'm selling my replacement D2 if that helps you out.

Lavs23

Reaction score
Having owned both phones I'd say go with the DROID2. I love the faster processor and the more memory for Apps was the most noticeable difference because android isn't shutting down apps all the time. Also, the 8gb internal memory for apps eliminates the need of app2sd. I also prefer the looks and functionality of my Liberty 1.5 DROID2 over the CM7 OG Droid. I've noticed a lot fewer random restarts on Liberty. Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID2 (R2D2) using DroidForums App