Droid 1 vs Droid 2 chargers

dhinged

Reaction score
I just got a Droid 2, and the charger that came in the box (Motorola) says 5.1V (850mA), but my old Droid 1 charger says 5V (850mA). Can I charge the Droid 2 okay with the Droid 1 charger? Can I use other chargers?

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i notice this with my Bionic and my other phones with the random chargers i get off ebay for $1.34
i found it works charges. but it seems to effect the screen so i have to turn the screen off and let the phone charge.

doublejack

Reaction score
I have an OG Droid (aka Droid 1) and was given a Droid 2 by my sister. When she gave me her old phone, she didn't give me any chargers or anything else... just the phone itself. I have been using the Droid 1 chargers and even the OG Droid multimedia dock for many months now without a problem.

OP
dhinged

dhinged

Reaction score
I discovered that both phones use the same battery so it shouldn't be a problem. I suppose the Droid 2 charger is just the DroidX charger which requires a higher voltage, and shouldn't cause a problem on either phone since their voltage is 3.7V.

doublejack

Reaction score
I discovered that both phones use the same battery so it shouldn't be a problem. I suppose the Droid 2 charger is just the DroidX charger which requires a higher voltage, and shouldn't cause a problem on either phone since their voltage is 3.7V.

The battery (BP6X) is also used by the Droid Pro and Cliq. Motorola likes to use the same battery across several phones, it saves on manufacturing costs.

As far as the voltage, the input voltage on all microUSB phones is 5V. That's because it is the USB standard. The phones step it down to match the voltage required by their battery.