Drive Mode

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Is there anything in this phone that works like Motorola Assist in that you have a drive mode? My Droid Turbo would read messages to me over my car speakers when I was in Bluetooth mode and allow me to reply hands free. I know Verizon's Message plus has a Drive setting, but I don't like that messenger program. I want to stay with the stock Android Messenger. Only feature I seem to be missing at the moment from my Droid Turbo.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Not sure how Motorola Assist works but check to see if Google's drive mode is similar. If the S8 is anything like my N5, try hard pressing a home screen, select shortcuts, then drive mode.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Yeti35

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not sure how Motorola Assist works but check to see if Google's drive mode is similar. If the S8 is anything like my N5, try hard pressing a home screen, select shortcuts, then drive mode.

Are you referring to Widgets? There is no shortcut when I long press home screen. Drive in Widgets is for Google Drive, that is for storage, not what I am looking for.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Are you referring to Widgets? There is no shortcut when I long press home screen. Drive in Widgets is for Google Drive, that is for storage, not what I am looking for.
Let me see what happens when I try it on the original launcher. Hopefully it works the same. Be right back with update...

Update: long press on home screen, select widgets, go to maps, then select drive mode.

OP
Yeti35

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Let me see what happens when I try it on the original launcher. Hopefully it works the same. Be right back with update...

Update: long press on home screen, select widgets, go to maps, then select drive mode.

Still not sure this is what I need. Motorola Assist Drive mode would alert me to incoming text while driving and also allow me to reply to those text all hands free. It would also if I chose to read that text to me via Bluetooth while in my car. To be clear this is not a Bluetooth headset or an add on to my vehicle. It just worked via their built in app when I turned on Bluetooth and was driving.
I appreciate your help on this. :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'll have to experiment with this, myself. My car's Bluetooth does much of this except allow me to reply to text hands free.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
To my knowledge no other manufacturer offers a native Driving Mode option like Moto's where you can totally respond to new SMS Texts hands free. I have heard of apps that are similar (but not as good) and some vehicle Bluetooth systems have this kind of functionality built in (as Tis mentioned). But I don't think anyone else has developed a "Driving Mode" feature like the Moto App. I'm surprised this has not become native to Android after Google bought Moto for their patents. Many of the original Moto App features from the 2013 Moto X have been Incorporated into stock Android...Except Driving Mode.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Yeti35

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To my knowledge no other manufacturer offers a native Driving Mode option like Moto's where you can totally respond to new SMS Texts hands free. I have heard of apps that are similar (bit not as good) and some vehicle Bluetooth systems have this kind of functionality built in (as Tis mentioned). But I don't think anyone else has developed a "Driving Mode" feature like the Moto App. I'm surprised this has not become native to Android after Google bought Moto for their patents. Many of the original Moto App features from the 2013 Moto X have been Incorporated into stock Android...Except Driving Mode.

Yes, I am surprised it is not in there as well. This phone is my first venture outside of the Moto regime and I just thought every one had a version of this feature. I guess I'll have to live with out it now. :(

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My teenage daughter tried a similar app with her Moto G4+ (the G4+ does not have Driving Mode either since it's a Global phone) and said it was "OK" but nowhere near as good as Moto's Driving Mode. I'll try to remember and ask her what the app name was.

OP
Yeti35

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My teenage daughter tried a similar app with her Moto G4+ (the G4+ does not have Driving Mode either since it's a Global phone) and said it was "OK" but nowhere near as good as Moto's Driving Mode. I'll try to remember and ask her what the app name was.
Global phone should not have anything to do with it since my Turbo was a Global phone too and had it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Global phone should not have anything to do with it since my Turbo was a Global phone too and had it.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Global as in sold in all countries and not specific to the US. The Turbo was global unlocked but still a Verizon exclusive. The G4+ is not sold by Verizon, or other US carriers. For some reason, Driving Mode is not an option on phones made for global sales like the Moto G, and Moto E series. Driving Mode seems limited to US Moto models like the Droid line, Moto X, and some newer phones like the Moto Z.

Joelcableguy

Reaction score
Hi all, there is an app in the Playstore called "Drivermode" which I think is an excellent app for what your looking to do, take it from someone who drives for a living, check it out and see what you think

OP
Yeti35

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hi all, there is an app in the Playstore called "Drivermode" which I think is an excellent app for what your looking to do, take it from someone who drives for a living, check it out and see what you think
I just downloaded it, I'll give it a try in the morning on the way to work. I'll report back how it works.

OP
Yeti35

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It read text to me over my phone, not the speakers of my car like I was hoping for. I guess I am just going to have to live without the feature I was used to on my Droid Turbo.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The Android Auto app did the text on my S4 over BT of the car stereo. I have been doing that for a while. AA was originally designed to work with AA stereo head units. But Google set up the stand alone feature, a little while back to work on the phone alone.

When the stand alone first came out, the initial set up of AA would not work. On a forum somewhere, a poster said you must connect to an AA head unit the first time, then the stand alone feature would work. I went to a Best Buy and connected to one of their AA head units. Sure enough, AA began working stand alone on the S4.

At the same time I got my S8+, I also got an actual Android Auto head unit. So I have not tried AA stand alone on the S8, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Try it. If AA will not open, go to a store and connect to a display AA stereo, and it should work after that