does WiFi scanning use much battery?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
If I leave WiFi "ON", will it suckup my battery as its just scanning most of the time? Do most of you just turn on WiFi only when you know you'll be using it?

Some users have suggested leaving GPS and WiFi always on, but Im not sure.

Thanks.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Wifi will always look for a network if it's not already connected.
GPS only is use when an app needs it.

So yes, wifi will eat battery....

Chad_G_77

Reaction score
I have great battery life when I leave wifi on at all times. I'm typically in a place where I have access to wifi (home or office). When your wifi is connected, it disconnects your 3G connection and uses less radio power. When connected to wifi, your radio is tuned into one specific source as opposed to 3G when it's bouncing off of different towers to get the best signal. This uses less battery when you're on wifi.

So, for me... I leave wifi on at all times and have great battery life.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that says leave it all on all the time.

Anyway, try it out both ways and see if it makes much of a difference for you. It doesn't for me.

I do have the wifi set to NOT notify me of open networks. I don't think this saves much battery power, but it annoys me the other way.

garath

Reaction score
Keeping my wi-fi on in places where I have wi-fi available (work, home) saves a ton of battery for me. I can make it through a whole day and be down around 40-50% instead of dead.

I imagine it might suck some battery constantly searching but connected? Better than 3G.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as the constantly searching thing, now that I think about it, I don't think it uses much more battery to be notified of open networks. If wifi is on, it will be looking to connect to remembered networks, so it really is scanning anyway.

I also have to agree, using wifi if you can instead of 3G is a big battery saver. Leave it on!