does the carrier have to be unlocked before rooting?

devoidzer0

Reaction score
Hi, I read a tutorial on how to unlock the Galaxy S5 and it mentions that the carrier has to be factory unlocked before rooting. My phone is a T-Mobile, do I have to buy an unlock code before I can root it?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum. The phone's bootloader needs to be unlocked. Do you have a contract phone or did you buy the phone at full price?

Moving post to S5 Forum.

OP
D

devoidzer0

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. The phone's bootloader needs to be unlocked. Do you have a contract phone or did you buy the phone at full price?

Moving post to S5 Forum.

Thanks. The phone is subsidized (technically it's not a contract since it's T-Mobile). But yeah, I'm paying for the phone monthly. So, the bootloader needs to be unlocked first? Does the carrier lock have any bearing on being able to root?

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Welcome aboard! Yes, phones need an unlocked bootloader in order to root. The new Knox security is changing the game for us modders as well.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
You do NOT need an unlocked bootloader to gain root.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
DOH! I stand corrected. My apologies and thanks Tommy for pointing that out. *blushing to my toes*

~tap'n from my N7~

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
True, TMO does not lock the bootloader like VZW and ATT does.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I buy my phones off contract to keep my unlimited data and I think it's bull**** that when I buy a phone from a third party for $850 Verizon c still lock the bootloader. Totally illogical.

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I buy my phones off contract to keep my unlimited data and I think it's bull**** that when I buy a phone from a third party for $850 Verizon c still lock the bootloader. Totally illogical.

$850 ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
$850. seems kinda steep.

Sam Presley

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5 Tmobile
Hey All,

With Tmobile phones to be unrooted all you need to do is learn the correct root method for your device by looking thru google for it.

I have their Galaxy S5 and using chainfires root method for it via odin
rooted the device plain and simple but once you change the recovery on the device knox no longer can be used.

And for the root method you need to check to make sure Super User = SU is installed to the device because itll allow you on some devices like the Galaxy S5 to have it disable knox which is a pain in the butt..

With out disabling knox you will have a hard time running root apps on the rooted device...

Hope this helps

Sam Presley