Does "Screen Filter" app actually reduce brightness to help with battery life?

jcardona1

Reaction score
I have this app installed and it works great on my phone. Sometimes the minimum brightness settings is still too bright. This app makes your screen much much dimmer, based on the levels you choose. But I'm wondering, is it actually dimming the screen more, or is it merely applying a 'shade' over your screen while still maintaining the preset brightness? And if it's just a shade, would this help with battery life?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.haxor&hl=en

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
interesting...

Yeah the lowest level of brightness is still quite bright.

"
It even saves battery life for AMOLED displays!" so they claim...​

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps with battery life but I keep the widget on my home screen - great app :)

Geschickt mit meinem Galaxy Nexus aus Deutschland

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
interesting...

Yeah the lowest level of brightness is still quite bright.

"
It even saves battery life for AMOLED displays!" so they claim...​

Yeah that's what confuses me. You can literally make the screen so dim you can't even see anything, but I'm not sure if the screen is actually consuming less power, because the system settings haven't changed...?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe it takes away from the power to the screen? If it literally just adds a shade I don't see how that saves battery life

gimmemabrewski

Reaction score
Maybe it takes away from the power to the screen? If it literally just adds a shade I don't see how that saves battery life

How much phone battery can you save by switching to dark wallpapers and themes? | SHIFT_beep according to this on super amoled screens such as the galaxy nexus' it takes less power to create a dark pixel that a light one. Therefore essentially saving battery life even if the app is "shading" the screen. Unfortunately i wouldn't expect too huge of a difference.

cprtinc

Reaction score
Its a shade that sits on top. What annoys me is that it doesn't have an option to dim the sofkeys, but there are ways around it. Logically, It should help with battery life, I mean, you do lower the brightness of your screen to conserve power. Its not the setting, its the fact that it takes less power to light up a super dim pixel than dim or bright ones.

GenericAnswers

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G2 D802
On a regular LCD screen the app would actually drain battery as the process of running the filter in the background is resource intensive, however amoled display technology doesn't use back lit pixels and to create darker colors amoled screens can actually turn the pixels off creating those deep blacks meaning the filter can actually decrease the nitt brightness of the pixels on amoled screens rather than just placing a blue light filter over them, making the app developer correct when saying it can save battery on amoled screens.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is the best APP to use for lowest brightness settings? I use Brightness now.

Brightness

Anyone know a better one?
I use one called ScreenDim because it lets me separate the actual brightness setting from the backlight setting quick is what uses the most power on LCD screens. It also helps get rid of the iPhone like bleached look a bright backlight can give.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk