Does it REALLY void the warranty or can you get around it?

PaulQ

Reaction score
I've already rooted my phone but I thought you could revert the phone to stock and then execute any sort of warranty claim?

If not, is there any point in keeping the Verizon "total coverage" insurance that includes technical issues on your phone ? I assume the loss/damage coverage still works.

Thanks for your experience! :)

Globed

Reaction score
Rooting or Modding your phone does void the warrenty on the phone and Verizon's insurance. Now you can revert back to stock. And unaroot it and you should be able to use ur warrenty and the warrenty company isn't going to know the difference idt if u unroot it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
Thanks... someone actually made a point that I am wondering is true. A phone that needs warranty service is probably in a state that would prevent you from unrooting it. If you can't operate the phone, how do you unroot?
Does that sound like it makes sense?

Globed

Reaction score
Well that's not always true. For instance if u crack the screen on ur on ur phone Verizon's insurance covers that n u can unroot and use the phone. All a warrenty is, is a plan paid for or not that covers ur phone if something happens but. If u can operate ur phone, and u can get to boot loader then u can still unroot it. But if u can even turn the phone on. There's no way the warranty company will be able to tell

Cardsfan77

Reaction score
Well that's not always true. For instance if u crack the screen on ur on ur phone Verizon's insurance covers that n u can unroot and use the phone. All a warrenty is, is a plan paid for or not that covers ur phone if something happens but. If u can operate ur phone, and u can get to boot loader then u can still unroot it. But if u can even turn the phone on. There's no way the warranty company will be able to tell

I rooted my droid razr then unrooted it but messing with sq lite took the mobile hotspot off my razr. I told verizon that i had rooted my phone and they told me that as long as thereof was no physical damage the it would be covered by warranty.

dankwizzydorf

Reaction score
Don't tell Verizon you rooted. That does void your warranty. You should be able to sbf or something similar back to stock and then they will never know you rooted. And, like stated above, if you can't power your phone on, they probably won't be able to find out you rooted. I have sbf'ed a moto phone and brought it directly to Verizon for an exchange and they had no idea I rooted but telling them you rooted your phone is a valid reason for them to deny your claim.
PS...u could always just get a nexus and have total control

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk