Does Google Voicemail require 3G?

Leckert123

Reaction score
I have the Verizon $2.99/month visual voicemail, with which I am not satisfied. I came from AT&T/iPhone...well, yes, AT&T kinda sucks, but those guys at least got VVM right. Also, it's free, not $2.99 extra, and when their network is working, VVM works well.

Problem - Verizon's Visual VoiceMail (VVVM) won't work when I am connected to wifi, which is all of the time at home or at the office. So, this means I don't get voicemail messages most of the day. This makes VVVM entirely useless.

I'd like to try the GoogleVoice mail to get this feature. Does GVVM work while you are connected to wifi?

thanks!

DaHarder

Reaction score
This appears to be the case given that if I'm not in a 3G coverage area (rare), I must resort to standard voice-mial as the VVM simply doesn't work.

Happy DROIDing​

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
DaHarder, which of these do you mean:

1. Verizon's VVM doesn't work when it can't get to 3G (I know this), or...
  2. You've got GoogleVoice set up to provide this same feature, and that the Google version doesn't work without 3G?

DaHarder

Reaction score
DaHarder, which of these do you mean:

1. Verizon's VVM doesn't work when it can't get to 3G (I know this), or...
  2. You've got GoogleVoice set up to provide this same feature, and that the Google version doesn't work without 3G?

No 3G = No Verizon VVM

Happy DROIDing​

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Ok. that is what I had stated in my post #1. This is known, thanks. Google VVM is not the same as Verizon VVM.

The topic question is:
Does Google Voice Mail need 3G or will it work fine over Wifi and/or regular non-3G network?

romeov

Reaction score
Ok. that is what I had stated in my post #1. This is known, thanks. Google VVM is not the same as Verizon VVM.

The topic question is:
Does Google Voice Mail need 3G or will it work fine over Wifi and/or regular non-3G network?

Yes, Google Voicemail works over Wifi.

The entire Google Voice app (except for incoming and outgoing voice calls) runs through data. That data is not tied to Verizon's 3G (although it usually uses it obviously)

To make 100% sure I just enabled airplane mode, then turned only my Wifi back on.. and made sure to see the x on my 3g icon still. Once that was done I called my phone (Google voice number) from another phone here at home and left myself a voicemail.. I also had a friend text me to test.

Both the voicemail and the text message came through over my Wifi only connection. (granted they were a few minutes delayed as most things are at the moment with GV, but they came through over wifi just the same)

Only here would I take so much time to help a fellow droid user ;-) Hope this helps.

OP
L

Leckert123

Reaction score
Romeov, thanks so much for going through all of that to verify this for me. I really do appreciate it. Hopefully, this will be of assistance to others as well.

Now, it's just a matter of reading the FAQ sticky and getting myself set up!